Help with the ethics of negotiation

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #11  
No more unethical than someone pricing something higher knowing they will get less.

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #12  
When purchasing most anything, remember the Seven Golden Words: Is that the best you can do?

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #13  
I spent over 30 years negotiating and I've hears some really crazy offers. All that can happen is for them to say no. I always felt a good deal was one that neither side liked but that both sides could live with.

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #14  
Growing up around the family car business... no one ever came in and paid the price on the window... ever!

The only thing I see as unethical is when a person makes low-ball offers with no intention of buying and doesn't complete the sale if accepted... it's wasting time, if nothing less.

If I'm looking, I will just say so. I have no problem letting a salesman know of my interest and that I price shop.

I have to admit that shopping tractors is different. Often there isn't a posted price and many times there isn't ANYONE available to quote price???

At 3 local dealers, I found there wasn't anyone who could sell me a tractor... two never did get back to me.

My last visit to Green Valley Kubota was the same. The owner was away and all the salesman were out...

I called a dealer out of my area and asked for price and availability for what I wanted. He said he had 3 coming in and asked if I wanted one. I told him the only question was price.

Twenty minutes later he called with his best out the door price and I told him to consider it sold. Three days later I had my new tractor.

If you want the tractor, figure out what it is worth to you and make the offer... no harm, no foul.

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #15  
You can often get a new tractor at 15% off list price, so this seems high. It is coming on to two years old. I'd find a similar new one and see what you can buy it for, then use that as a basis. About 70-75% of new price (not MSRP, but what you can buy one for) is a fair price. On new, you get the full warranty, any rebates, 0% financing, etc, so there must be a discount for buying used. As far as making an offer, dealers expect that, especially on a used item.

Hi All,

I have been eyeiing a tractor which the dealer has on consignment. The 07 machine has 100 hrs and is in pretty good shape. It seems like the asking price is about 15 percent less that the JD configuator less dealer setups etc. Of course when quoted new this sounds good, but upon reflection, a better deal should be had. The question is: Is it too rough to offer 10 percent less than the asking price with the intent of ending the negotiation somewhere between? I have to deal with the salesman. Any thoughts or reflections appreciated.

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #16  
I kept getting response from dealers about how set in stone their prices were till I went shopping with a completed credit apllication and $2000. cash deposit in my hand.
The dealer sees plenty of tire kickers every week. When he sees you are serious . . .. the pencil gets a little sharper.
Most that discount the tractor deeply try to get some back on accessories or shop work.

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #17  
Most people ask more than they are willing to take, expecting to get lower offers they can live with. Offering less is as ethical as asking more! Dealers that receive the asking price call the buyers that pay "list price" "sucker's".

/ Help with the ethics of negotiation #18  
Ask the dealer who owns the tractor and if you may have contact with them . Be upfront with them , no bad ethics there . Some people just don't want the hassle of selling a tractor . If you buy it the dealer still gets his cut .