Help with tractor choice

/ Help with tractor choice #1  

Anonymous Poster

Looking for a tractor for residential mowing 3 acres, brush cutting 1.9 acres with front loader capabilities. I'm very impressed with the BX2200 with the 60"MMM and loader and think it will meet all my requirements. However, the local NH dealer has a 95 Ford 1620 HST with 72" MMM that I could add a loader to for a price under the BX2200. The 1620 is a 27HP (22PTO HP) tractor that was used by a park service in Texas exclusively for mowing (3pt hitch/rear PTO has never been used - paint is still inside lifting arm rings). Question is should I go with a larger tractor even though its used with approx. 2,300 hrs which would have a bigger loader and could handle a larger brush cutter/rear attachments or should I go new with the BX2200 which I think would do what I needed and would have a warranty. Primary uses will be as follows: 90% finish mowing; 10% brush cutting and/or loader work.

/ Help with tractor choice #2  
The question is which one are you most comfortable with? There's only a 5 hp difference between the two. Is that additional 5 hp worth not having a warranty? It sure doesn't sound like you need the extra horses. You also need to think about resale/trade-in value if and when you decide to move up or out. Did you check the maintenance records on the Ford? I work for a municipality, and can vouch for the fact that the employees have a tendency to not care how the equipment is treated because it isn't theirs. It may look alright, but it could beat to _ _ _ _ /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif. If it were me, I think I'd go with the BX2200. IMHO /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

/ Help with tractor choice #3  
Also concur with the BX2200.
I'm in about the same situation as you...3 acres, etc. Also, I liked the lower CofG of the BX2200.
However, I ended up buying a JD 670 w/ FEL and 60" finishing mower (and since the 670 had <600 hours) for a lot less money.
IF I'd the spare cash , I'd of got the BX2200.
I really think they're a nice little tractor!

/ Help with tractor choice
I agree that the 5hp is not that significant but I guess my holdup is the overall tractor size comparison. The 1620 could use a loader with lift capacities over 1,000 lbs and breakout forces approaching 1,800lbs. Also the 1620 would handle larger implements if the need arose. I guess the underlying question is how well does the loader on the BX work for typical applications (moving dirt, hauling firewood, etc.) and how well does the 3pt handle a 4ft box scraper or 4ft brush cutter as those would be the 2 implements I would have the most use for

/ Help with tractor choice #5  
YOu said that 90% of your use would be finish mowing...if so, than remember that the extra weight of the ford will work against you. I really wouldn't want more weight on my lawn than the BX with turfs, as it is I try to be careful. As far ast the 4ft box blade, I have a Woods GB48, and it handles it just fine in clay as long as your not running in mud where you lose traction, and then ags might be better than my turfs. With the FEL, I handle overflowing buckets of clay, all kinds of dirt, firewood, etc, without a problem. Once i even lifted 720 lbs of cement mix up 6' high (not that I recommend it, but the BX DID do it).

Drive the Ford, too. A lot may depnd on the transmission. The BX hydro is a beautiful thing, as well as the feather-touch steering....

Thanks for the reply - I'm really leaning toward the BX but wanted to make sure that the BX could properly handle a 4' box and that the loader was adequate for normal functions around a home. Another area of concern is the use of a brush cutter - I'd like to be able to run a 4ft brush cutter with either. I know the Ford will handle a 5fter easily and could probable handle a 6 footer with proper balancing. However, I'd be happy with a 4fter behind the BX, if it can handle that size for normal cutting with very few saplings. I'd use the MMM but am afraid the unlevel terain could damage the MMM. Anyone please offer experiences

/ Help with tractor choice #7  
The answer to this is a personal specific answer, to me, I would consider a machine with 2300 hours on it to be so used as to not merit my attention. I am buying a tool to make my life easier, the last thing I need is to worry about a big maintenance a few month after I bring it home.
Used by the Park Service, ok... used by "non-owners" and probaby low pay employees at that. (I doubt they payed much attention to taking great care of it).
There is nothing you want to do that you can't do with a brand new BX. Add the loader later (or sooner if you can).

Got a solid quote at a South Texas dealer for a BX2200, FEL, and 60"MMM for $12,000 even. As this is the best I've got in the area so far, is this a good price or should I keep looking.

/ Help with tractor choice #9  
The FEL on the BX is very capable and will do the things you mention easily. It will also handle the Kubota 7548 4 foot boxblade nicely. I think the KK 40 inch brushcutter to be a better match than a 48 inch KK.
How do I know this--I have a Kubota 2410 and a BX2200. I have used a 48 inch brush cutter on the BX and a 4 foot box and have moved and dug mountains of dirt with the mityBX.
The other choice you mention--well---I cannot help you out--there are new car people and used car people--I like new cars so I guess that goes to my tractor purchasing as well. I like to get a new vehicle and then run it till it is no more and then go get another nice, new, reliable, clean, fresh, shiney and happy vehicle. I suspect wearing my Kubotas out will be very diffucult--but if I ever do I will go get another new one--but that is just me. Perhaps you should look at the excellent B7500 also. Since you say 90 percent mowing--the BX is by far---far and away--hands down and with no comparison----a much better lawnmower than the 7500 or 2410 could ever wish to be.
J

/ Help with tractor choice #10  
<font color=blue> ... the BX is by far---far and away--hands down and with no comparison----a much better lawnmower than the 7500 or 2410 could ever wish to be</font color=blue>

Uh, oh. Now you've gone and done it, J. I'm waiting for the backlash from the 7500/2410 owners - or maybe not. Maybe its the case of a quantifiable fact that cannot be debated. I don't know. You are, however, "in the know" - being a proud owner of both. Life is full of compromises, as it's tough to find a great TLB that will also mow your lawn like a carpet. Kubota's seems to have the line-up to 'fit the bill' pretty well, though. IMHO

PowerMax