Buying Advice Help with tractor choice

/ Help with tractor choice #1  

brianclowry

Tractor
Ford
Hello, all!

I have an 80 acre farm, ~40 tillable acres. I'm looking to buy a "new-to-me" tractor - one in the 40-55 hp range. I will use it mostly for clearing brush, but I do have a set of 3-bottom Oliver plows and an 8' JD transport disc that I would like to put to use. My land is gently sloped, but I do have quite a few springs that make the ground soggy in areas. I once had an Oliver 880 Row crop gas: too costly to run, no power steering - definitely the wrong tractor for my needs.

Low cost of ownership/reliability are paramount. I have several choices in sight, but I could use help in narrowing the playing field. Or, perhaps there are other machines I should consider (in no order of preference):

1. Ford models 3910, 4610, 4100, 3930, 4600SU
2. JD models 2240, 2155

I really don't have more than $8-9k to spend. Should I spend well below my limit and assume that I will have repairs in the near future, or am I better off spending more in hopes of getting a newer/lower hour tractor?

My neighbor has a David Brown 880 that performs well, but I'm concerned about parts availability with that brand.
Thanks in advance!
Brian

/ Help with tractor choice #2  
I bought a Ford 4610 this winter, my first 'big' tractor. I bought it with a loader, my primary use for it. So far I like it. I am looking for some of the implements you have listed, so I am not much help, yet. I don't know much about the other tractors on your list, other than what I have read. They say the SU models have a lighter duty front end, more nimble but not good for a loader.

I have the operator's manual and service manual, too.

If you have any questions about my 4610, let me know.

Attachments

• image-2834918579.jpg
    image-2834918579.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 73