Help with which Kubota to get

/ Help with which Kubota to get #1  

TX03

Tractor
in the market
Hey Everyone - brand new to the forum after doing some research into tractors. My wife and I recently purchased a 15 acre spot in the Texas hill country and we're looking for our first ever tractor. I've done quite a bit of research and am leaning towards a Kubota (we have a couple of dealers in the area that seem pretty good). However, I'm having a real tough time figuring out what size tractor we need. We have a small nubian goat herd that will grow to 15-20 or so and then we plan on getting a couple of horses as well (would love a couple of longhorns but that probably won't happen any time soon). Most of our chores will be bush hogging some open areas and under our larger oak trees, pulling out cedar stumps, and mainting our gravel driveway. I think the L series Kubota should be able to handle almost everything we need outside of possibly needing to move round bales in the future. Anyways, would love some insight from you guys or if there are resources handy that you could point me to that would be great as well. Thanks!

/ Help with which Kubota to get #2  
Whatever size you think you'll need, get one size larger and with one size larger engine than you'll think you'll ever in your life need.
It'll last you longer and serve you better 10 yrs from now.
Because in 10 yrs time, you'll be wanting to step up in size to a larger tractor.
Then get all sideways with the dealer when he offers you little to nothing for your used small tractor that you've lovingly cared for
but beaten half to death because you should've bought a larger unit in the first place.
Set aside enough money in the purchase of the land and home building for the purchase of the "Right Sized" tractor to do the job for you farm NOW.
Not trade in a used up small one for the one you should've bought today.

/ Help with which Kubota to get #3  
Hey neighbor, we're also in the Texas Hill Country. You need to step the tractor size to a Grand L60 or even an MX, you would be too limited in lift capacity and PTO hp with the smaller ones. Get a cab model if your budget permits.

Oh, you will be spending a fortune feeding two longhorns on limited acreage.

/ Help with which Kubota to get #4  
It would be great to have a larger, heavier tractor than you need. I got an L2501 in order to avoid the EPA Tier 4 pollution add ons. I prefer simple and no computers. I mostly mow ten acres and that size works well for me. If I needed or wanted something larger I'd be shopping the used market for something gently used in the six to eight year old vintages.

/ Help with which Kubota to get #5  
Before deciding which tractor, you should try to figure out what you plan to be using it for. A tractor can be a 25-20 year investment, so you should try to make sure that you don't grow out of it.
Stump pulling is a one time deal, then you're done with it. Do you expect to use it for more than bushhogging once the stumps are gone?

/ Help with which Kubota to get
Great advise - thank you!

Hey John - what part are you in? We're located in Spicewood. Thanks for the advice, I was looking at the MX models but wasn't sure we had enough applications for a tractor of that size. Everyone's responses has me rethinking that now...

The longhorns are more of a pipe dream... maybe one day we'll move to a bigger place

We'll use it for a lot of chores - hauling hay around, maintaining our gravel driveway, cutting brush, cutting cleared pastures, removing stumps (we have a lot of cedars that I'd like to remove), and other miscellaneous things that will inevitably pop up

/ Help with which Kubota to get #9  
Whatever size you think you'll need, get one size larger and with one size larger engine than you'll think you'll ever in your life need.
It'll last you longer and serve you better 10 yrs from now.
Because in 10 yrs time, you'll be wanting to step up in size to a larger tractor.
Then get all sideways with the dealer when he offers you little to nothing for your used small tractor that you've lovingly cared for
but beaten half to death because you should've bought a larger unit in the first place.
Set aside enough money in the purchase of the land and home building for the purchase of the "Right Sized" tractor to do the job for you farm NOW.
Not trade in a used up small one for the one you should've bought today.

This is the BEST ADVICE EVER!

SAVE TIME & MONEY......imagine the biggest tractor that you could ever need......and then....go one size BIGGER!

/ Help with which Kubota to get #10  
Hey John - what part are you in? We're located in Spicewood. Thanks for the advice, I was looking at the MX models but wasn't sure we had enough applications for a tractor of that size. Everyone's responses has me rethinking that now...

The longhorns are more of a pipe dream... maybe one day we'll move to a bigger place
We're about 30 miles west of Fredericksburg. The thing about tractor size is if you find out it's too small, you will be kicking yourself forever. Something in the 50 horse range is ideal for you in my opinion. Big enough to do serious work and small enough to be maneuverable. I was using a Kubota L2900 (about 30 hp) on our ranch and the lack of lift power was seriously frustrating. And be sure to get a quick connect (whatever Kubota calls it) for the loader.

If you want ranch eye candy, blackbuck antelope are fit the bill The bucks are really striking looking. Right now our herd is about 28, every three or four years we get several darted by our trapper. We share the proceeds 50/50 when sold.