Help, your opinions and advice please..long

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long #11  
Jack,
I looked at the 790 very closely when I was shopping. The big turning point for me to go orange was when I compared the hydraulics and the 3pt. lift capacity to the smaller Kubota B7500. It had more capacity, came with HST and was cheaper. I bought my B7500 before the B7800 came out. The 790 is a rock solid tractor for it's intended use, but for me I am really glad I got the HST and I actually wish I had more 3pt lift. If memory serves... the 790 has a little over 800lbs, B7500 has 1036 and the B7800 has around 1300. That's quite a difference. Like the other posts have said, everybody's needs are different, but you asked for some opinions and that's my 2 cents.

Greg

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long #12  
My advise, don't become fascinated by one color while shopping. There are several relatively recent players in the US today that have long been building tractors abroad. For example, the last stat I saw on Mahindra showed their tractor production at over 85,000 units per year, and I'm sure there are others comparable.

I was lucky enough to have a first class Mahindra dealer 20 miles from home that sells 200 units per year. When I compared (and I did a lot of comparing) horsepower, weight, lift capacity, GPM hydraulics, and creature comforts, I couldn't even come close to the 2810HST with some of the other colors for the same money. Yes, I catch grief from some of my Orange and Green friends, but that's OK. I have several thousand $ left over for extra toys! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long #13  
Hi Jack,

How have you been? You might remember we talked a little in the spring this year when I was looking for a tractor. You told me about Virnau & Sons in Sealy.

So you are getting to the point of making the purchase...great! If you are going to check out Kubota go by Roach Kubota and talk to Nick he will spend all the time you need with you and answer all your questions. I literally spent hours with him before I bought talking about several different tractors and test driving them. I went to Virnau, Landsdowne & Roach, liked Roach the best and bought from them. They have a sweet 3130 w/loader out front right now and a L3000 that might suit you too : ) & 0% financing is still on till Oct. 31st !

On your tractor, when I was looking I got a lot more for my money with Kubota. The prices I kept getting from Deere were thousands over what I could get comparably at Kubota. (From what I have read this varies throughout the country, some places it's just the opposite).

On your questions:

Is the tractor too light for what I want to do?
The 790 is a workhorse, I’ve driven one, it’s a solid good basic tractor, very capable and would probably do what you wanted. The ultimate decision will be yours in the end but go check out, drive and get prices for the models you are interested in first to get all the info you need to make an informed decision. Check out the dealers too see how you like them, how are the service and parts departments?

Is the lift capacity of the FEL and 3 point hitch to light?
The 3 point on the 790 is spec wise light, this concerned me when I was looking at them. It’s 815lbs. vs. a Kubota L2600 or L3000 at 1435lbs. It will probably do all you need it to do but I wondered why it was so low in comparison. I don’t recall the loader specs.

Is the LX5 cutter tough enough for rough work?
Don’t know on that one.

Would I regret not getting an HST?
Depends on what you are going to do with it. Gear drive is a bit cheaper if your budget is tight and not bad to use. For what I wanted to do the Hydro works great for me. The loader work is sure easier instead of shifting all the time just push go forward, go back. I let my teenage nephews cut the grass and they picked the operation up I think a little faster than if I had a gear, but again it depends on what you are going to use it for. The gear is not bad to use and even gives you a few more usable HP.

What does the competition have to offer in a similar price range?
Two to check out, the Kubota L2600 probably would compare to the 790 and the L3000 would be a bit larger. Both are basic tractor gear models. My next door neighbor has a L3000, I have used it, it's a very capable tractor. A little smaller you may even look at the 7800 and a little bigger the 3130.

Keep looking, talk to the dealers, ask questions here, get prices it will all come together and you will make a good decision, really, believe me : ) soon you will be posting pics of your new tractor here!

Wayne in Katy TX

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long #14  
If one is even half way close, I would check out a Century dealer, and a Branson, I think from all I have heard, you might be missing something if you don't, and be sorry later.

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long
First off, thanks I appreciate all your repsonses. I was pleased to hear from icat and Bobobro as we all live in the same area and I read with great interest while they went through their tractor buying decision. By the way icat I went to the Deere dealer first as I had been renting out in Sealy and did not have time to make it out there last Saturday before they closed, and I know you are enjoying your 3130!

Mountainman, thanks I appreciate a 790 owners response, do you mind if I ask what the nature of your battery problem was? Do you recommend switching out the battery that comes with the tractor? As far as a backhoe goes, nope not in the cards, could never justify the cost vs rental.

chrisjbell, thanks for your honest reply on wishing you had bought a larger tractor, we have practically the same size property and your advice does not go unheeded. As much as I want all the attachments I need to remain open to the idea of getting the tractor I want now and adding the attachments as I can.

pruntyc and dieselsmoke, I have decided I will look at all tractors, I have waited to long to rush this purchase now, (even though I can't wait to get one)

murph, I have seen the recommendation on here many times on how important the dealer is to any tractor purchase, I am sure in the end it will be the deciding factor in my purchase.

Frank thanks, the HST recommendation is heard often here, I am sure it will get down to a money matter.

Hey Bird, thanks for understanding the stressfull aspect, my stomache hasn't settled down since I made the decision to buy, hopefully it will not stay that way until delivery /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg, I too am concerned about the lift capability, will investigate Kubota this weekend.

Hey Wayne, I have been great, I had to postpone my tractor purchase when you were buying as I was able to buy the land next to mine and double the size of my place. While that has been wonderful, it certainly has complicated the tractor decision. I will definitly go by Roach and speak to Nick, I appreciate your advice and I remember you were very pleased with the service you recieved. I assume you have been equally happy with any follow up service or you would mention so.

Thanks again and I can't wait until this saturday!

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long #16  
OK, I give up! How can you afford to purchase 11 acres in Katy and not be able to afford any tractor you want? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just ribbin ya!

For those of you who are not "privy" to the Katy area - it's a suburb of sorts for Houston and property values are quite high (at least for this 'ole boy). My house lot (which is 65' by 120') was a mere $10k when I bought it 4 years ago. If you go up to an acre you're looking at around $30k! Man, it's getting expensive! While I'm sure other areas have similar prices, us Texans are kinda new to skyrocketing prices. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

By the way, those are good folks down in Sealy. Almost bought my tractor from them, but delivery out to Yoakum was going to be an issue. I'm guessing that Sealy is where your property is?

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long
I looked at property in Katy, could not afford too much, so I bought out in Bellville, (hence my forum name). I just kept going west until I found a place I could afford, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually the wife and I looked for quite awhile before settling on the Bellville area, my place is about 10 miles NW of Bellville. We like it as it is wooded with oak and slightly rolling in the surronding area.

Definitly plan on visiting the folks in Sealy, besides Kubota the also sell New Holland, Massy Ferguson and Long Agrifab.

Must admit I dont' know anything about the last one....

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long #18  
Doh! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Too many references I guess to catch the name. I hear ya on the $$$. Had to go all the way to Yoakum to get what I wanted.

If I recall, the 'ole boys name in Sealy is Jeff. He had a good price and was very nice to boot. Service facility was first rate too. I eventually went with Rioux in El Campo. Give Donald a call down there if you're looking to compare. Tell him I sent ya and he'll give you a hat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks like we're getting quite a few Katyites on the board - might have to start our own support group or something...

/ Help, your opinions and advice please..long #19  
<font color="blue"> Mountainman, thanks I appreciate a 790 owners response, do you mind if I ask what the nature of your battery problem was? Do you recommend switching out the battery that comes with the tractor? </font>

I purchased the tractor used with a new battery. which already had existing minor corrosion and battery terminal decay. Thorough cleaning, re-painting the battery box and new terminals fixed the problem (so far). From what I understand on TBN, JD had battery leakage problems with the 790 and 4400 series. Seems to be caused by vibration and cheap batteries. Many of these issues were covered under warranty. Many on TBN have changed their JD batteries with Optima sealed batteries. BTW this is not soley a JD issue.