help!

/ help! #1  

6shotz

Tractor
Branson 2810
I have a Branson 2810 (2001 model with 400hrs.) and while snow-blowing tonight something failed. I suspect it is the clutch, but have to figure out how to get it into my shop. The noise it made has me scared that possibly the failure is worse:eek: It made a "loud...rubbing-screeching" sound and will no longer move. The motor runs fine, but if I depress the clutch and put it into gear, it makes that awfull sound :eek: and will not move.
Have any of you guys had a scenario similar to this? I am just now figuring what I need to do next... we have a long driveway (.3 mi) and it looks like it is going to be a snowy winter (16" and snowing hard currently!)
I do all my own mechanic work and have found these forums to be an awesome resource. There are many talented folks out there with so much more experience than myself. If any of you guys have some insights in to my situation I would be very gratefull.
Thankyou in advance

Last edited:
   / help!
Also, is it normal to have a clutch failure "all-at-once" and to make those kind of noises???:confused2:

/ help! #3  
Does the noise happen when you push in the clutch, or when you put it in gear? Does the noise continue when you let out the clutch while in/out of gear? Clutch failure is generally gradual. Throw out bearing failure could happen all at once but usually comes on slowly. Not familiar with your tractor, but sounds like it could be some other driven accessory (pump, PTO, etc).

/ help!
Walker1,
Thank you for your reply.
With it running and out of gear, no noise. When I depress the clutch I get (some) noise and feel some vibration through the pedal, if I engage the transmission while clutch depressed, I get more noise...if I let out the clutch while in gear I get much noise and no forward/reverse motion.
This is a 28hp Branson 4wd, I bought it new 15 years ago. Its been an awesome little machine with very few issues over the years. I did have to replace the drive gear on the primary hydraulic pump last winter and the hydraulics are currently functioning well. I do use it pretty hard when I run it (plowing/blowing snow, field mowing, pulling logs, bull dozing:biggrin:, etc...

/ help! #5  
I take it this is some sort of torque converter drive and not a standard manual transmission.

/ help!
It is a manual transmission with 12 forward/reverse (1-4, 3 ranges) and a forward/reverse "shuttle".

/ help! #7  
G'day it sounds to me like you have torn the centre out of the clutch plate have to split it to find out for sure

Jon

/ help!
G'day it sounds to me like you have torn the centre out of the clutch plate have to split it to find out for sure

Jon

banjodunn,
G'day! Well I spent last night searching the web and looking at pics of different clutch failures, what you are saying makes sense. I sure hope the transmission is all ok. Today I'll go out and get the FEL & snow blower separated from it and get her pushed into the shop and thawed out. I've never split a tractor case before...that should be a good education :muttering:

/ help! #9  
Did Branson put any inspection access points on the clutch housing? Some tractors had covers that you could remove to inspect the clutch assembly without having to split the tractor.

/ help!
I don't think so, but I will surely check.
Does anybody know what the best source for replacement clutch components might be??