Buying Advice Helpful suggestions

/ Helpful suggestions #1  

Leithal

Tractor
RK 24
Looking for some advice. I recently bought a 16 acre mini farm that's way over grown. House and yard is about 2 acres and the rest is some big timber and a whole lot of underbrush. Rolling hillside, two creeks and about 8 acres relatively flat. I got a logger coming out in a few more weeks, gonna clear cut the flat-er area to make a pasture, and thin out some of the rest. I know I gonna NEED something in the mid 30's HP, 4wd, loader, bush hog and box blade. Gonna have a lot of clean up after the logging and trying to get a pasture ready by spring. I really don't have a brand or color preference. I've got a LS dealership about 4 miles away, JD about 6, Kubota 8, Massey 18, and Koiti about 30. Also not really sure if I should pay the extra for hydro-static over shuttle and not interested in a cab.

/ Helpful suggestions #2  
:welcome:
To TBN Leithal. I have very similar property. Dealer makes a lot of difference. I have a MF dealer 13 miles away but went 40 miles away to buy because of the dealer. Test ride each one before making a final decision. I would probably look at 40+ HP because of tier 4 now.

/ Helpful suggestions #3  
Leithal: I recently bought a 16 acre mini farm that's way over grown. Rolling hillside, two creeks and about 8 acres relatively flat.

I got a logger coming out in a few more weeks, gonna clear cut the flatter area to make a pasture, and thin out the rest. Gonna have a lot of clean up after the logging and trying to get a pasture ready by spring.

Structure the timber contract to include having stumps removed. Logging companies have the bulldozers and/or excavators necessary to remove stumps and can do it cheaper than you can contract for removal later.

I know I gonna NEED something in the mid 30's HP, 4wd, loader, bush hog and box blade. Also not really sure if I should pay the extra for hydro-static over shuttle and NOT interested in a cab.

Weight is as important as horsepower. Heavy tractors are more stable than light tractors. Pay for weight as a safety factor on your foothill land.

You will need a Disc Harrow with pans at least 20" in diameter.

I am a dedicated Kubota owner but I have shopped XR4000 Series LS tractors and find them competitive with my Kubota 'Grand L' in features. XR4000 tractors are 4,000 pounds, tractor only. I see fewer repair incidents for LS tractors than about any tractor brand here on T-B-N.

HST is most attractive on hilly ground. 1. Max torque at low speed, to help you get started. 2. Automatic transmission braking both going up hill and down hill. (Tractors have foot brakes only on the rear wheels.) 3. Your spouse and kids can operate an HST equipped tractor. In my opinion, HST transmissions are more reliable than clutch tractors today.

Perhaps 6% to 10% gear/clutch tractors are sold in the under 60-hp category today.

How much tractor operating/maintenance experience do you have? Do you plan to do your own maintenance?

HST Vs. GEAR LINK: https://www.google.com/search?clien...tractorbynet.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

LS LINK: XR4040H « LS Tractor USA

Last edited:
   / Helpful suggestions #4  
Welcome to TBN from Va. I would go dealer shopping, check them out, ask tractor owners in the area. If there is a place where the old timers go for coffee in the mornings show up and ask about tractor dealers. Some are known for not caring about the customer, some are priced high on little things that add up, ect. That cup of coffee might be the best investment you ever made. Ed

/ Helpful suggestions #5  
Leithal: I recently bought a 16 acre mini farm that's way over grown. Rolling hillside, two creeks and about 8 acres relatively flat.

I got a logger coming out in a few more weeks, gonna clear cut the flatter area to make a pasture, and thin out the rest. Gonna have a lot of clean up after the logging and trying to get a pasture ready by spring.

Structure the timber contract to have stumps removed. Logging companies have the bulldozers and/or excavators necessary to remove stumps and can do it cheaper than you can.

I know I gonna NEED something in the mid 30's HP, 4wd, loader, bush hog and box blade. Also not really sure if I should pay the extra for hydro-static over shuttle and NOT interested in a cab.

Weight is as important as horsepower. Heavy tractors are more stable than light tractors. Pay for weight as a safety factor on your foothill land. You are going to need a Disc Harrow with pans at least 20" in diameter.

I am a dedicated Kubota owner but I have shopped XR4000 Series LS tractors and find them competitive with my Kubota 'Grand L'. XR4000 tractors are 4,000 pounds, tractor only. I see fewer repair incidents for LS tractors than about any tractor brand here on T-B-N.

HST is most attractive on hilly ground. 1. Max torque at low speed, to help you get started. 2. Automatic transmission braking both going up hill and down hill. 3. Your spouse and kids can operate an HST equipped tractor. In my opinion, HST transmissions are more reliable than clutch tractors today.

Perhaps 6% to 10% gear/clutch tractors are sold in the under 60-hp category today.

How much tractor operating/maintenance experience do you have?
Jeff makes some very good points especially about clean up of the stumps. That is going to cost you as much or more than the timber and best if you can make the timber guys root them out.
The limbs are going to be laying everywhere when they finish and clean up would be much easier if you get a grapple on your FEL to hold the trash onto the bucket. I don't know if the work could justify buying a root rake with grapple but it would sure make life simpler when loading and piling that trash.
Just remember to go slow because if you hit an immovable object (stump or rock) with the FEL while going flat out, you are going to damage it.

40 engine HP is a nice sized tractor. They are usually large enough to carry a large round bale when properly counterweighted, and powerful/heavy enough to pull a 6 foot disk easily.

Just about all Korean or Japanese made tractors are equal in quality but I would stay away from the Chinese made ones. All the tractor makes that you list are going to be good in most cases. You will find a lemon occasionally in every brand just like you do with cars but I have to agree with Jeff that LS seems to have the least repair issues, at least here on TBN. LS has as good or better warranty than any other brand also. IF you have a good dealer, he will likely save you several thousand over any other brand also.

/ Helpful suggestions #6  
A agree with the others. 40hp, and shop for a dealer not a brand. I would check out several in your area. Spend a little time browsing the isles and listening how they treat customers. Ask a few questions. Don't judge them by their salesmen as much as overall "feel", since you only deal with the salesman for days but you will be dealing with the parts counter and service department for years to come.

/ Helpful suggestions #7  
I agree with the others. Especially the stumps, they're a real PIA to do yourself, the logger can pop them in no time. Get him to remove all his stumps, shouldn't cost you any more.

Tractor size seems about right, weight is a big factor here, as is hydraulic power. HST is well worth the extra 500 to 1K IMO. I think with a loader, grapple, and brush hog you should be able to do some serious work. Don't worry about finish mowing, that's down the road and a different discussion. The setup you're looking at will also be used for maintenance tasks later.

I'd take a weekend and just see as many dealers as you can. Tell them what you're doing, get a feel for tractors, and pricing. Then you can think it over, ask more here, and really start narrowing down the options. Look at all the options, don't rush it, and try to enjoy the process.

Finally :welcome: from MI

/ Helpful suggestions #8  
I recently bought a 16 acres that is way OVERGROWN. House and yard is about 2 acres and the rest is a whole lot of UNDERBRUSH.

You will want a Ratchet Rake attachment for your FEL bucket. The Best Tool for clearing brush. Sold by the T-B-N store, delivered by FedEx.

RATCHET RAKE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ratchet+Rake

The 2015 Sunbelt Ag Expo is October 20-21-22 in Moultrie, Georgia. All the tractor and implement manufacturers will be there. If you want a hotel room near Moultrie, book early.

SUNBELT AG EXPO LINK: Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, GA: North America's Premier Farm Show

Last edited:
   / Helpful suggestions #9  
Get an 4wd tractor with an HST transmission. With hills, you will be glad you have it. I consider both to be indispensable.

And, if you ever decide to sell your tractor, it will bring a premium over a 2wd tractor or a gear transmission.

/ Helpful suggestions
Well, I have to say I appreciate all the replies. Gonna try to respode to some the advice/comments:

Now y'all got me looking at the 40's but I know its not all about HP either. Weight, torque and a good wide stance.
As far as the stumps go they already plan on knocking them out for me and piling up most of the tops, limbs and debris.
Dealers, well more like I'm leaning toward Kioti or Kubota, they both listened and gave advise without being pushy or needy and I know people who own both. LS & Mihindra have kinda rubbed me the wrong way so far .And JD is to pricey for my blood.
Still not sure about the trans, I can go either way and wife said there was no way in bleeping bleep that she was gonna get on whatever I bought. I can barley get her on the lawn mower.
I've never owned my own tractor or had much experience on one, but I used to operate a skider on a daily basis years ago, did mainence on it and some other equipment. All my own vechicle and was in avaition maintanence in the Navy for abot 9years. So yeah I can turn a wrench, trouble shoot, electronics and paint, but I weld like a mud dobber.
BTW that ratchet rake is something I'm deffinatly gonna want. Thanks, much appreciate.