Helping neighbors

/ Helping neighbors #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I have several neighbors that I help whenever they need something from mowing yard to mechanic work. Since it was so nice outside today I finally got my across the road neighbor to get his car out to replace the head light on his Nissan Maxima. You have to remove the inner fender liner to access it (which is really stupid design). He had called dealer about replacing the lights (planned to replace all the lamps since it is a pain to get to them) and they estimated cost to be from $175 - $400 depending on which dealer he called.
I finally got enough of the inner fender plastic pulled back to take a look and after some searching found the lamp location. After getting a small flash light, I found the place to plug in the bulb and then found the unattached wire. Either the wire was never plugged in or it simple came unplugged.

We discussed how doubtful it would be that a dealer would have simply plugged the wire back in and said good to go OR would they have replaced all the good bulbs, charged $400 and said nothing. It took me about 5 minutes to remove one plug and pry back the plastic enough to see what was inside and another 5 minutes to put it back. The rest of the 1/2 hour total time that I spent was just looking for stuff like a light and looking under the hood etc just to find the lamp location and the loose plug.
A technician that knew how to get to the lamps and had all the tools handy wouldn't have taken over 10 minutes to complete the job.

/ Helping neighbors #2  
Dealers don't put up 50k square foot buildings with office and garage space on half hour repair bills.. Sadly I think we all know the answer..!

/ Helping neighbors #3  
My father was always the guy people would call whenever they were in trouble. As he got older that good will came back to roost... as he grew infirm in the last few years of his life other people were looking out for him, and now my mother is able to stay on the homestead because she has neighbors like you. :thumbsup:

/ Helping neighbors
Looks like I just picked up another neighbor to help. My neighbor who lives due east of me told me her husband has liver and lung cancer and is loosing about 1# per day due to not being able to eat and hold it down. He has went from about 180# to 130# now. He is starting chemo tomorrow but I dont hold out much hope for him. It looks like I will have another widow to tend to soon. Heck I am surrounded by widows and infirmed folks. I sure hope my health remains good for a few more decades because my wife doesn't know how to do any of the work needing done outside and there is no one around here that could help her so she would be forced to move.

/ Helping neighbors #5  
It's good to help your neighbors. At our old house, I always did our elderly neighbor's snow in winter, and he'd mow 1/2 my lawn in summer. There was another old guy that lived down the block. I'd loan him $20 the third week of every month for ground beef, bread, and Redman chewing tobacco. He'd pay me back the 1st of every month.

I do our current neighbor's snow. He mows part of my lawn in summer. Feels good.

On the headlight note.... my kid's Malibu requires the entire front bumper to be removed to change the bulbs! Idiotic!!! :laughing:

/ Helping neighbors #6  
Very well done it痴 nice to see people doing good deeds for others helps restore faith in man kind

/ Helping neighbors #7  
Very well done itç—´ nice to see people doing good deeds for others helps restore faith in man kind

I charge them $400 each time.....

:laughing: no I don't, but it seemed funny at the time.

/ Helping neighbors #8  
This last summer I finally got a close neighbor. Just across the county road. Our houses are about a mile and a half apart. I graded their driveway and spread the gravel he ordered. Took me about two hours. Their driveway is like a snake that you stepped on. Its about 200 yards long and has about five bends. Fortunately, it's all level.

I got paid. The wife baked me a strawberry-rhubarb pie. Man, I'll grade that driveway every week for that kind of pay.

/ Helping neighbors #9  
Dealers don't put up 50k square foot buildings with office and garage space on half hour repair bills.. Sadly I think we all know the answer..!

I know exactly what you mean.

Example: Back in the 90's there was a close dealer that I went to because they had a head mechanic that really knew his stuff. If it was something quick to fix they charged a flat 1/2 hour rate of $25.00. I thought that that was very fair and happily paid it.

Then when the old man who owned that dealership died and they sold the dealership, I went back to see the same mechanic about a quick repair expecting the same charge or maybe a little more. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. It still took him only 10 minutes to fix it but when I went to pay for it the bill was $293.73.

When I asked the young man at the service desk in the coat and tie on why it cost so much, he said to put it on the computer diagnostic machine was a flat fee of $150.00 and the hour to repair it was another $75.00 and the shop fee was $50.00 and tax, etc.

I explained to him that the computer and shop were never used as Jim went out to my car and changed it in 15 minutes. He didn't care since "The Book" said he could charge that. Of course, I never went back.

/ Helping neighbors #10  
My wife had surgery Friday...I was a wreck (together 47 years) but all was well! No cancer, just a really bad fibrous cyst.
Our neighbor's I mentioned the upcoming surgery and they surprised us with fantastic home cooked food since!
We'll have to reciprocate and there are wonderful people out there!
Yes, anytime over the years helping people really warms the heart.