HEMI Under Glass.....

/ HEMI Under Glass..... #11  
It looks like he got wheel hop on braking and was running out of stopping distance so he cranked the wheel.

/ HEMI Under Glass..... #12  
I grew up with that stuff and spent lots of money in the day on fast cars at the track and on the street. And did my own wrenching, blueprinting, etc. Actually did so until ~ 10 years ago. A racing friend won his class at a NHRA annual event and beat out the pros, back in the day when that was financially possible. I was impressed with Riggle's vitality at the beginning of the movie. Not so much with the obvious driver error. Really hated to see the car and event end like that. Gives me pause concerning my own aging and where I will be when I catch up to 80 years in the not all that distant future.

/ HEMI Under Glass..... #13  
Gives me pause concerning my own aging and where I will be when I catch up to 80 years in the not all that distant future.

Me too. I have a daily driver sports car (inexpensive) that I drive on the track (road courses). I do some high performance driver education instructing. I will probably do time trials this fall. I have always wanted to race wheel-to-wheel. But, I'm 53 and actual racing is a big step up in expense (full cage, HANS, fire suit, etc etc.) It also requires a whole different skill set compared to time trials and open track driving. My skills are already modest, I wear glasses now, and I'm not getting any younger. So I doubt I'll ever make to actual racing.

However, there are guys out there racing who are considerably older than me. Same with time trials. But most of them got started a long time ago. I think if I had started doing this 10 years ago rather than 5, I'd consider racing...if I had the money to throw away on that sort of thing. ;-)

At the highest levels of racing like F1, racers seem to decline in their late 30s and early 40s. There are exceptions. And in endurance and even cup type series you see guys still competitive in their 60s.

/ HEMI Under Glass..... #14  
I am right at 62 now, and I can tell you this, while I can still drive pretty defensively , I don't think my skill are quite as sharp and my reaction time quite as good as when I was say 32. I think there is some degradation and I still have the mental capacity to be able to figure that out. When guys get older, I think they are too slow and senile to figure out that they aren't what they used to be, and are in their second childhood. This is just one mans opinion on the road of life.. YMMV

/ HEMI Under Glass..... #16  
I am right at 62 now, and I can tell you this, while I can still drive pretty defensively , I don't think my skill are quite as sharp and my reaction time quite as good as when I was say 32. I think there is some degradation and I still have the mental capacity to be able to figure that out. When guys get older, I think they are too slow and senile to figure out that they aren't what they used to be, and are in their second childhood. This is just one mans opinion on the road of life.. YMMV

Yep. Agree. I will be 65 in Feb, can work outside in the heat and cold around the property doing heavy work better than a lot of younger folks, but not as long as previously. Or maybe I just complain less :) But my recovery time is now longer... My reaction time behind the wheel is still good but know it can't be as good as in my younger years. The brain is certainly not as good but good enough to realize the situation. Such is life. We need to understand "the road of life" and work around it. Should I make it to 80 years I hope not to be placing others at risk.

/ HEMI Under Glass..... #17  
Yep. Agree. I will be 65 in Feb, can work outside in the heat and cold around the property doing heavy work better than a lot of younger folks, but not as long as previously. Or maybe I just complain less :) But my recovery time is now longer... My reaction time behind the wheel is still good but know it can't be as good as in my younger years. The brain is certainly not as good but good enough to realize the situation. Such is life. We need to understand "the road of life" and work around it. Should I make it to 80 years I hope not to be placing others at risk.

is that a yes?

/ HEMI Under Glass..... #18  
I remember that car well performing at the drag strips..Shows just how important a well constructed roll cage is...