Herbicides

/ Herbicides #11  
A mixture of glyphosate and triclopyr (Ortho Brush Killer or Bayer Brush Killer) works well and is not too expensive. Be sure to spray early in the season. Around here that is usually May. Like there is nothing else to do in May. By mid-June it has a good chance of coming back. Be sure to wet all leaves of the plant. The other herbicides mentioned are good also, just depends what you have access to purchase in your area. Add a few drops of dish detergent, like Dawn if you are using a hand sprayer or a crop oil to cut through the surface tension of the leaf to allow the herbicide to do a good job. Good luck.

/ Herbicides #12  
Yes The purchase of 41% glyphosate requires an applicator's license in Arkansas!
Well then, just come on down to Louisiana!!
You can buy it here as long as you got money. :D
BTW, Texas too. I just bought 5 gallons in Texas last month. (we only live 15 miles from the state line)

/ Herbicides #13  
There are so many of those multi flora rose bushes on my farm, I think someone planted them. Agricultural strength roundup* mixed with some dawn dish soap and some kerosene seems to work well at killing them. Only spray them when they are green and actively growing. I usually try to get them in the spring or late summer early fall after it starts raining again. Not sure where you are, but here the leaves are already dropping off naturally so the spray would do no good. I have a 55 gallon 3 point hitch sprayer that was used to spray tobacco. We quit tobacco, now I spray fence rows with it. I removed the boom and bought one of those high flow spray guns. Crank er up to PTO speed and let-r-rip, sprays about 50 ft.

I've also had good luck bushhogging them down, but it has to be done religiously several years in a row. The first year bushhogging the green unsprayed bushes is the worst. Expect lots of blood, possibly a flat, and hang on to the tractor tight the vines have a way of grabbing you. The 2nd and third year gets much better and easier as the bushes decrease in size.

*Agricultural strength roundup requires an applicator license in Indiana. The stuff you get here at retail stores is slightly stronger than water. Last I bought was $60 for a 2.5 gallon jug of generic at the co-op.

/ Herbicides #14  
Personal experience plus some imput from University people have shown me application AFTER flowering is most effective (glysophate 2oz./ gallon). Have played with dormant stem application of Garlon 4E with good success.

/ Herbicides #15  
There are so many of those multi flora rose bushes on my farm, I think someone planted them.

Somewhere along the line, someone planted them in your area. At one time, they were planted as ornamentals around homesteads, to control erosion, and as "fencing" around pastures.

I have a neighbor in his 70s who tells me that he remembers his HS vo. ag. class planting the darned things for erosion control. Birds have been effective in spreading the roses hither and yon.

I am not a trade protectionist, but Chinese and Japanese privet, Japanese knot weed, multi-flora rose, kudzu, and red imported fire ants are imports that I could have done without. :)

Steve

/ Herbicides #16  
Somewhere along the line, someone planted them in your area. At one time, they were planted as ornamentals around homesteads, to control erosion, and as "fencing" around pastures.

I have a neighbor in his 70s who tells me that he remembers his HS vo. ag. class planting the darned things for erosion control. Birds have been effective in spreading the roses hither and yon.

I am not a trade protectionist, but Chinese and Japanese privet, Japanese knot weed, multi-flora rose, kudzu, and red imported fire ants are imports that I could have done without. :)

Steve

I remember hearing that as well, but didn't know it to be true. As bad as multi flora roses are, I'd still take them 2 to 1 over kudzu. That stuff grows so fast you almost have to run from it.

Another way to control the bushes, if the OP has the inclination, is with goats. I have some hills I consider too steep to mow and would wash out if I sprayed. The goats do a fantastic job of chewing the bushes down in a short amount of time. Eventually the goats eat the bushes down to the point they stop sprouting back.

/ Herbicides #17  
I thought the patent had expired for Monsanto (Roundup) Glysphotae sp.?) So why has TSC equivilant, Pronto Big NTuff gone UP $10 for a 2 1/2 jug? Rural King has it much, much cheaper but my nearest store is 6-800 miles away. and they can't ship chemicals. Anyone coming this way (south central Mass. from Ohio/Illinois?)

/ Herbicides #18  
I thought the patent had expired for Monsanto (Roundup) Glysphotae sp.?) So why has TSC equivilant, Pronto Big NTuff gone UP $10 for a 2 1/2 jug? Rural King has it much, much cheaper but my nearest store is 6-800 miles away. and they can't ship chemicals. Anyone coming this way (south central Mass. from Ohio/Illinois?)

You are correct, Monsanto's patent on glyphosate (Roundup) expired in 2000.

What is the new price at TSC? In my area, TSC's regular price has been $49.95/2.5 gallons, but they have had periodic specials for $39.95/2.5 gallons. I stocked up with 10 gallons during a sale this past spring.

I remember a TBN thread in which a member reported buying glyphosate online from Home Depot and having it shipped to his local store for a good price. They may have periodic sales, so that may be an alternative. You could also check with ag. coop stores if you have any nearby.

Steve

/ Herbicides #19  
remedy mixed 25/75 diesel sprayed on the stem will get but takes repeat applications.spike will get it.i had more regrowth with crossbow .any one used surmount?

/ Herbicides #20  
Garlon 4 is the best brush killer I've used so far. I think it really kills Olive And Rose on the first application.