Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez !

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #271  
Frank I suggest you look at this site before you shoot an intruder with rock salt.

The Box O' Truth #33 - Rock Salt in a Shotgun - Page 1

First, the guy on this site tests everything he can think of in several ways and distances to see how various loads/bullets/cartridges perform. Rock salt would probably not even penetrate the skin at a distance of more than four to five feet. The plastic wadding will do more damage than the salt. The intruder might be scared off or he might be pixxed off enough to shoot back with his stolen 9mm while you are jacking another round in your sawed off 870. Only an idiot would use rock salt on an agressive armed intruder.

Second, is your sawed off 870 legal? In a civil suit this could be used against you with devastating financial results. Also shooting to wound in the face with rock salt or birdshot is not a good idea. Look at some of the other tests the guy makes.

Third, "Call 9/11??? What ever for?" Failure to call 911 can lead to charges of murder you......... Sorry, having to restrain myself!

Fourth, you say you won't be "standing out in the open". Are you hiding behind a sheetrock wall? Look at other tests on the site above and see how much protection that wall provides.

Fifth, having your wife video around the corner while you confront intruders???? Wouldn't that be putting her in risk for no reason other than to video your manly death at the hands of an intruder who is scared to death because you just blasted him with a totally ineffective round of rock salt. Of course that gave him time to get off three or four rounds of whatever he is carrying taking you out and then giving him a reason to pop your wife between the eyes to get the phone to destroy the video.

I usually write a reply then leave the computer for a half hour or so then go back and reread my words before I post them. I do this to keep from sounding like an idiot. I suggest you do the same. Some of your earlier replies were good but this last one..........

Not going there, don't want to read it again.

RSKY

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #272  
That is a very good reply, and offers a lot to think about, RSKY.

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #273  
Second, is your sawed off 870 legal? In a civil suit this could be used against you with devastating financial results. Also shooting to wound in the face with rock salt or birdshot is not a good idea. Look at some of the other tests the guy makes.

RSKY

Not only could use of a sawed off shotgun be used against him in a civil suit, it's quite likely he'd leave the court in handcuffs.
You can cut the stock down, but you can't cut the barrel down. That's a federal offense (unless you go through the drill with the BATF).

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #274  
I may have been a little rough with him but I do not, make that CAN NOT take the shooting of another person in a joking manner.

Only if my family was in danger and only if there was no other recourse could I do that.

We may need IQ tests before allowing firearms purchases.

RSKY

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #275  

RSKY

Good lord, don't say that! The "anti-gunners" will use that to determine only a crazy person would want to purchase a weapon, and that would effectivly end gun sales.

Ken

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #276  
the distance of 30 feet would be the distance from my bed room door to the front door the reason for the rock salt in the first place is not to inflict a wound, more of a possible wake up call to their mental thought processes
Not every intruder can be assumed to be packing a fire arm or throwing object capable of inflicting injury or death on a home owner.
The act of breaking in under most circumstances does suggest criminal intent of some level though.
However the salt that I have is crushed from a block of animal salt so the grains are near the size of #1 buck to #0 buck
The barrel is 18 1/4" long so this a legal length
Call 9/11 what ever for? would be my exact first response. The 9/11 call would in any case be after the first round unless I heard the the act of my door being jimmied or a series of locks being picked, then the 9/11 call would in all cases be in process, also should that be the case then I would probably be very near the door just beyond point blank range probably behind something with the first thing an intruder would see would be the barrel pointed directly at him Not many intruders are willing to proceed further.
However this is also a good way to wind up being shot at myself even with a solid piece of furniture or a wall as a shield. another thing is if there has been time to call 9/11 before they actually entered then it would mean that I would have probably had time to open the gun vault and retrieve something with a lot more knock down power than a short range 12 ga
sheet rock? You must be one of those folks who live in a stick house, the only wood in any house I have lived in in the past 20 years has been possibly some door frames or furniture
My wife likes the old .45 but at 50 feet she does well to be able to hit a qt bottle
I fail to see your reasoning for thinking someone would be at risk while holding her cell phone out from behind a concrete wall video & sound recordings of an intruder /s caught in the act of entry can be indispensable in tracking down the intruders should they opt to leave, when the police finally arrive much later, There is not a police station or doughnut shop within miles of me

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #277  
oops double post

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #278  
The assumption is that an adult has good judgement and can own a firearm unless they have proven bad judgement...various convictions, etc. prevent a person from owning a firearm. I'm not sure that IQ is a sufficiently defining factor....what about a situational judgement test?

RSKY

/ Here is what not to do or say if you shoot a burglar...geeez ! #279  
Exhibit #1 - John McAfee