Hi from Australia

/ Hi from Australia #11  
You are correct about the alternator. It sends approx. 20-30vac to the regulator, where it is rectified/regulated to about 14-15vdc. Here is a place here in the US that has them and probably ships to AUS. That would be a little pricey, but maybe you can use this data and find one locally.

/ Hi from Australia #12  
bish_oz said:
Hi fellow Yanmarians,

Although I have only just registered, I’ve been eagerly reading the discussions in this forum since buying my first tractor a month ago, a YM1810D with 620 hrs on the clock, purchased locally for AUD$3800 (US$2990) which included a slasher (I think you guys call it a brush cutter?), a Yanmar rotary hoe, a single tine ripper and a rear bucket. It had been sitting in storage for a number of years and the guy I brought it from wanted to travel so he was selling his stuff.

As you can see from the photos, it has been rolled, so there’s some panel damage to the front and the radiator supports are a little bent. The engine seems in good condition, which starts on the first turn of the key and doesn’t blow smoke, and the power shift, pto and lift work fine.

Although I’m worried about getting parts down here in Oz, at least I was able to source oil, air and fuel filters reasonably cheaply which was the first thing I changed.

My next adventure is to fix the charging circuit (battery isn’t being charged). The alternator is providing around 22 VAC at 1500 rpm (both when the reg is plugged in or out). I’ve check the ground connection, fuses, wiring (as much as I can figure out). The charging warning light doesn’t come on at all, and I’ve check the bulb, and respective connections. I presume it must be the VR at fault.

Anyway I find this forum a great source of information and experience and apologise up front for any dumb questions I may ask in the near future :)

Cheers

Ian

Ian, small parts are not too expensive to ship down there, I shipped parts for a Yanmar YM 165 to a guy in Cedar Vale ( I think is just south of you ) a few times and I think the shipping one time was about $ 10.00 and the other time it was about $ 12.00 US.

Danny