Flail Mower high grass

/ high grass #11  
JoeinTX said:
Flails are good for golf courses and cotton stubble.

That goes against everything I've ever read about flails. Granted, I have no real world experience....

/ high grass #12  
That goes against everything I've ever read about flails. Granted, I have no real world experience....

I certainly appreciate the good comments
about flail mower use for golf courses.

The "flail choppers" of which he is referring to
are a crop shredder version with a very wide
flail scoop knive which make use of the
pressure gradient created by the wide scoop knive
while it rotates and slices away the corn stubble,
cotton stubble, sugar cane stubble, sugar beet tops,
potato vines, pre-frost alfalfa and clover growth at a
very high speed of rotor rotation which makes the
the flail chopper scoop knive ideal for the job of
crop shredding.

/ high grass #13  
Flails are good for golf courses and cotton stubble. That's pretty much all. Great for either, but.............all else is the realm of the rotary cutter. Do not sink your money into a flail for any other than the above.

Gospel and done...

Nonsense. There are lots of good reasons to get a flail well documented on many of the other threads here. A rotary is in my opinion superior in rough and unknown terrain (rocks, stumps etc.), a flail gives a nicer cut on grass (near finish mower depending on the flails) and is certainly more maneuverable. Offset is much easier to achieve with a flail than a rotary so cutting the sides of a road is much better. I am talking about the sort of country shown in the picture below - neither a golf course nor a cotton field! Note we have an MX6 and use it on rough trails and clearings, we use the flail for roadsides, smooth turnarounds/clearings and the grass that grows in the center of rarely used roads. We bought the flail after the MX6.
206281400_R5fen-M.jpg

/ high grass #14  
Lungdoc: Thanks for the terrific pic. Makes me want to visit.