High idle speed on 1025R

/ High idle speed on 1025R #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Anyone else have one of the newer JD subcompact or compact model tractors? My 1025's owner's manual lists the idle speed as 1575 rpm. My 4010 had its idle speed in the manual as about 1,000. When it was delivered, the speed was set at about 1,500, but I later adjusted the throttle cable and put it down to about 900 to 1,000.

Have you lowered the idle speed to around 1,000 on the newer models?

Why is it so high?

Yeah, it's probably because of cold starting problems if owners don't open the throttle when starting cold. Maybe also some are lugging the engines and ruining the main bearings. But, really, do the rest of us have to suffer the higher fuel consumption of such a fast idle because of others being brain dead?

Ralph

/ High idle speed on 1025R #2  
Watch your oil pressure.

/ High idle speed on 1025R #3  
It sounds like you have it in your mind that 1000 rpm idle speed is greater than 1575 rpm idle speed. Just turn it down and enjoy it! Myself I bumped my idle speed up to 1650 rpm and am quite happy with it! I know it makes you cringe, but always operate between 2700 and 3400. Suckin' fuel, rippin' and tearin', kickin' arse, and takin' names!

/ High idle speed on 1025R #4  
You might want to consider the potential for carbon buildup, etc. in the engine when idling at lower RPM's, especially if not fully warmed to the design operating temperature. The manual recommends 1/2 throttle immediately after starting to help raise the engine temp. It is my understanding that diesels really don't like to idle or operate at low RPM's. If the design range for the 1025R is 1500-3370 RPM, operation at 1000 RPM isn't doing the engine any favors...

Nick

/ High idle speed on 1025R #5  
Does the water/oil pump work as designed at low RPM? Cutting the RPM by 1/3 seems like it could cause the water pump not to pump, had this happen on other engines with under drive pulley setups.

/ High idle speed on 1025R #6  
I would imagine the idle temp has quite a bit to do with engine temp. Diesels with good cooling systems (Ford 7.3) can actually run too cool at idle which will cause wet stacking in the cylinders.

This is dealing with generators but gives a good explanation

A close look at wet stacking*|*Plant Engineering

It’s generally believed that prolonged operation at low loads can lead to permanent engine damage, requiring a major engine overhaul. Costs of an overhaul can run so high that replacing the unit is the most economical option.

/ High idle speed on 1025R #7  
I'm not the most experienced with tractors but I pretty much never touch my throttle. I start it at around 2200 rpm and leave it there for pretty much everything I do. The only thing I really change is high or low speed, the engine speed never really changes.