High Speed Internet

/ High Speed Internet #41  
It sounds like the general concensus for Satellite type service is to go with DirecWay instead of Starband. The competition between the two has made each of them better. I believe that DirecWay may have the most recent advantage with stated support for MS-ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and the slightly lower pricing. In addition to these factors Starband is also on the ropes, financially speaking. Dish Network (Echo Star) has been moving away from their partnership with Starband since pursuing the merger with DirecTV (Hughes). Don't think the long term prospects for Starband look very good, especially if the merger is approved. Since I am a current Starband user I keep watching to see when I will need to jump ship to DirecWay. Hate to see all the competition die leaving only one supplier in the market.

/ High Speed Internet #42  
Another option is AOL+ satellite for $53 a month and $149 one time for equipment including installation. The is no enforced FAP (download limit) and down load speeds here of better than 600kps at times. It is a dial return system that uses the phone modem for uplink. You still get unlimited dial up time to use any where there is a access number. It is shared here with win98 ICS. Uplink speed is limited by the phone line, here it is 48kps most of the time unless it rained in the last couple of days. I would get cable, DSL, or wireless if it was available though. Circuit City sells it.

/ High Speed Internet #43  
Here's a Broadband Co-op it makes for interesting reading. Seems their biggest hurdle was not financial or technical, but rather getting access to the Qwest network. They had to file a complaint with the FCC and go before the Colorado PUC to break things loose. Sad. Qwest wouldn't offer them broadband and would not cooperate in their efforts even though they had hundreds of unused subloops.