High strength top pin

/ High strength top pin #11  
<font color="blue"> Luckily I don't need the backhoe until the ground thaws. I'm dyin to do some digging in the mean time. Really could have used the blade and scraper Sat. though. </font>

Ctyler,

I am not sure if your 3ph backhoe is like mine...but...

In my case there are two pins, one the Kubota hoe just hangs over, and the other is the hardened one, probably just like the one you are having trouble with. [my guess is that both of mine are hardened, but I don't know off hand]

That is the pin that holds the backhoe and keeps if from raising up if forces are such that it wanted to raise up while in use.

My backhoe has a safety bar that goes under the lower link arms, that should catch the backhoe if that pin broke and the thing tried to raise up and pin me between the seat and the ROPS.

What I am leading into is that you probably should not use that backhoe if the set up is the same as I described. If you do, and that bent pin should break, you could be putting yourself in a shaky position, to say the least.

There used to be a write up at the Carter Equipment web site that described a fatality that occured when this kind of thing happened.

A thought just in case you might not have thought of this...

/ High strength top pin
Here are some pics. You can't tell anything about the pin but you can see that there isn't any room. If I had a straight shot at it I'd use my air hammer with a punch. That would knock it out in a hearbeat. The only way I could do that is to remove the 3pt hydraulic arm.

The might be enough room to get a saws all in there, it would be tight.

Pic is a drawing from Woods.

Oops.....here is the pic

Attachments

• 241052-3pt_bh_drawing.jpg
    241052-3pt_bh_drawing.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 177
   / High strength top pin
pic...

Attachments

• 241056-3pt_1.jpg
    241056-3pt_1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 150
   / High strength top pin
pic.

Attachments

• 241058-3pt_2.jpg
    241058-3pt_2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 145
   / High strength top pin
You can see in this pic how little room there is.

Attachments

• 241059-3pt_3.jpg
    241059-3pt_3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 147
   / High strength top pin
The BH has what called the safety lock that should keep you from getting smooshed. I agree with you and will not use it until this is corrected.

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks like taking the 6 bolts out for the top link bracket is the ticket. Then drive it out with the air hammer.

Thanks
Chris

/ High strength top pin
Update....

I called the dealer and he sid they installed what came with the BH. Then I called Woods. Woods stated that the 9000 BH is NOT designed to be used on the 3pt of the L3130. It is too much weight and thats why the pin bent.

The dealer already has the 4pt(not subframe like I thought) on order from Woods. This is what I wanted in the first place but appearantly it wasn't available or the dealer didn't realize it was.

Bottom line Woods said DON'T use it until the 4pt is installed. Otherwise damage may occur.

/ High strength top pin #18  
Why not take the 3 bolts out of toplink and get the hoe out of the way so u can work.
A sawzall will cut thru the pin on both sides of toplink.

/ High strength top pin
Hi, thats pretty close to my plan. Take the bracket off and use my air hammer to drive the pin out. There is actually 6 bolts, 3 on each side. Gotta love air tools /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ High strength top pin
Well today was a nice day out so I took the bracket off. The air hammer had to work a bit to get the pin out. The pin was starting to shear.

Attachments

• 244097-DCP01001.jpg
    244097-DCP01001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 88