Highlander cattle

/ Highlander cattle #12  
So... when you milk them, do you get scotch?

/ Highlander cattle #13  
I have a buddy up in Nebraska that raises them for food - and tans the hides to sell since they look so much like Yak - only smaller. (he has a fur trading business, too)

my experience was if they're 3 or over, they shouldn't be used for anything but jerky or ground. Under 3 and they're quite tasty.
yes they run very lean if purely range fed, but if you grain them for 3-4 weeks before butchering, they marble up pretty well.

good luck!

/ Highlander cattle #14  
There's a guy in Kingwood Township who raises them, then butchers them and sells the meat in his store. I don't know much about the raising part, but the eating part I have a lot of experience with - and they're Tasty!

/ Highlander cattle
Erik_in_Hoyt said:
I have a buddy up in Nebraska that raises them for food - and tans the hides to sell since they look so much like Yak - only smaller. (he has a fur trading business, too)

my experience was if they're 3 or over, they shouldn't be used for anything but jerky or ground. Under 3 and they're quite tasty.
yes they run very lean if purely range fed, but if you grain them for 3-4 weeks before butchering, they marble up pretty well.

good luck!

Is that hair on tanning? Know the concept and have done it but the breaking is just too big for my taste. Had a motorcycle jacket made with one, like a big wooky!! Had to send it to Ca. to have it done though. Darn coat has more airline miles than i do! Some day will have to figure out how to do pics.

Ground seems to sell better here, but there are some jerky fans out there as well!

/ Highlander cattle
TimC said:
There's a guy down the road that has one of those. We were sure it was a Yak!

Highlanders go moo. Yaks kind of grunt. Both can be quite entertaining in their own right.

/ Highlander cattle #17  
Before we started boarding the horses we were seriously thinking about starting a small Highland herd.

Wish I had enough land to do both. That said, I have thought about raising a steer or two (of a polled breed) along side the horses for the freezer.

/ Highlander cattle
Come 'on down. No steers, but some prime steak bulls, why wait to feed your own! Heck i will even cook the first steak!! Or burger, your choice. I am more than happy to put these guys out, one way or another. Could even set up with my butcher here and just stop by and pick it up!! Got burger cow that is going out Feb 1 for butcher, be back as cute as ever in 2 or 3 weeks. Have to check and see but may be able to work out a hay deal, i think i am a little short yet.

/ Highlander cattle #19  
4720 OWNER said:
Is that hair on tanning? Know the concept and have done it but the breaking is just too big for my taste.

yes, it was hair on, but I don't know where he had it done - just that he would ship several hides out at after butchering season and until they shipped they were salted and stacked between sheets of plywood or something to keep them flat.

whereabouts are you with this herd you're trying to thin?

/ Highlander cattle
Minnesota, south of the twin cities. Exurbia, soon to be suburbia. Knew it was no longer farm country when the 1st land rover showed up.