Hillside Haying in Austria... how my cousins do it!

/ Hillside Haying in Austria... how my cousins do it! #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
   / Hillside Haying in Austria... how my cousins do it! #2  
Is the hay stacked loose, or bailed when gotten off of the hillside?

/ Hillside Haying in Austria... how my cousins do it!
^^^ I always knew there was something worldly about you... In the 1950's... the Salzburg city hospital served US forces and there were a number a American children born there.

Is the hay stacked loose, or bailed when gotten off of the hillside?

Almost no bailing in Austria.

The traditional way is for hay to be gathered and then stored in the hay loft over the stable...

Larger farms and more modern operations with large fields will roll and wrap... either for use or sale.

/ Hillside Haying in Austria... how my cousins do it! #6  
Yes was at an Old Austrians Place at Raurimu NZ if I Closed my eyes yes would or could have been in the Tirol or Simmental Switzerland .. only thing missing was the flat oblong bales they make there ... B275 , tedder little Farmal Cub mid mounted Sickle Bar Mower and an Oliver on the Baler NH66 all on 1ha of land

Welcome to Tractor by Net!

/ Hillside Haying in Austria... how my cousins do it! #8  
Almost no bailing in Austria.

The traditional way is for hay to be gathered and then stored in the hay loft over the stable...

Larger farms and more modern operations with large fields will roll and wrap... either for use or sale.
Are the Austrains the ones who gather the hay only partially dry, and hang it on poles, under shelter to cure? I saw that on a video and could't understand how all that hand labor paid off. At least your cousins don't have to load it with pitchforks.

In some places they do... a carry over from the days when haying was all done by hand.

I still remember the sickle bar mower and loading the hay wagon with wooden pitchforks.

What previously would take an entire family is now done by one person with mechanization and pretty much has since the mid 60's.

Some of the hillsides are so steep it was thought hand was the only way to go... now, those that can't be done with machine are 99% out of production or they use a walk behind mower...

/ Hillside Haying in Austria... how my cousins do it! #10