Hinged Box Blade to pin or not to pin? How'd Udoit

/ Hinged Box Blade to pin or not to pin? How'd Udoit
Re: Hinged Box Blade to pin or not to pin? How\'d Udoit

John_Bud, "Analyzing" Nope I don't think so but maybe it wouldn't be the first time. The problem is my back blade is completely free to swing so I can't "Ride" on the back blade to smooth anything the swing blade probably only weighs a hundred pounds or so and its 7' wide so spreading anything with it being able to swing is nothing more than like pulling a solid core door along the road it doesn't have the weight of the tractor on top of it, it just slides along the road making pretty sounds. If the swing back blade ever got to the point where it was out of travel in its pivot points it might work but currently you could open it completely up and have it standing straight up on top of the BB.
Steve

John_Bud, "Analyzing" Nope I don't think so but maybe it wouldn't be the first time. The problem is my back blade is completely free to swing so I can't "Ride" on the back blade to smooth anything the swing blade probably only weighs a hundred pounds or so and its 7' wide so spreading anything with it being able to swing is nothing more than like pulling a solid core door along the road it doesn't have the weight of the tractor on top of it, it just slides along the road making pretty sounds. If the swing back blade ever got to the point where it was out of travel in its pivot points it might work but currently you could open it completely up and have it standing straight up on top of the BB.
Steve

/ Hinged Box Blade to pin or not to pin? How'd Udoit #13  

Steve,

Hmmm, Well that is "different" from what I was thinking! Can you post a 1000 words on your box blade (picture)?

I hate to ask, but did you inspect for extra bolt holes, missing brackets and stuff like that? Wouldn't be the first time something was shipped without bolts etc. Do you have room to add a bolt-to block and a place for a bolt? I can show you a pic of how gannon did it, if that helps...

What kind of dirt are you working? For the past week, I have been enlarging a mud hole in hopes of making a wildlife watering hole. Using 2 tractors, one with a hoe and one with loader and the gannon box. I like to fill the bucket, then back in, lower the box blade and drag out to the spread locations. The box is tilted to re-contour the area around the hole so the hoe isn't pulled in so quick. The rear blade is in the float mode and it leaves a dern smooth flat path back. Soil goes from virgin sod to pure sand, to gravel to shale (with all mixes imaginable) and it works it down flat & smooth for all of them.

jb

/ Hinged Box Blade to pin or not to pin? How'd Udoit #14  

Steve,

Hmmm, Well that is "different" from what I was thinking! Can you post a 1000 words on your box blade (picture)?

I hate to ask, but did you inspect for extra bolt holes, missing brackets and stuff like that? Wouldn't be the first time something was shipped without bolts etc. Do you have room to add a bolt-to block and a place for a bolt? I can show you a pic of how gannon did it, if that helps...

What kind of dirt are you working? For the past week, I have been enlarging a mud hole in hopes of making a wildlife watering hole. Using 2 tractors, one with a hoe and one with loader and the gannon box. I like to fill the bucket, then back in, lower the box blade and drag out to the spread locations. The box is tilted to re-contour the area around the hole so the hoe isn't pulled in so quick. The rear blade is in the float mode and it leaves a dern smooth flat path back. Soil goes from virgin sod to pure sand, to gravel to shale (with all mixes imaginable) and it works it down flat & smooth for all of them.

jb

John_Bud, It got late before I got off the tractor today I'll try and get a picture tommorrow and post it, The roads I'm working on were all BullDozed with a D-6 size machine they range from black dirt to Solid Limestone needless to say can't do much for the stone but its pretty good, its the dirt and Kaliche roads that suffer when water gets on them. I managed to pop about 100 old cedar stumps out of the remaining roads today and got them all smoothed pretty decent. When I got back and started looking at the box to see what I might do to keep the rear blade from swinging I realized that over the last couple of months I've managed to put a pretty good smile into the primary fixed blade it doesn't seem to effect the cutting but I guess I should have gotten a Cat Class 3 type BB they were about $2,000 more then the XB84 but came with hydraulic scarifiers in hind sight it would have been better for my terrain. The box looks like I've got enough room to drill it with a 3/4" bit and pin it to the cheeks, I did try the raising the box blade thing and just dragging the rear but it really does just open completely up and slide along the road. I did see what one of the other posters was saying about with both blades fixed stuff could get stuck between them because popping the stumps out numerous got wedged between the two blades and required reverse to dislodge them, if I'd had the rear pinned I'd of been trying to unpin it to get them out because they get pretty jammed up between them.
Steve

John_Bud, It got late before I got off the tractor today I'll try and get a picture tommorrow and post it, The roads I'm working on were all BullDozed with a D-6 size machine they range from black dirt to Solid Limestone needless to say can't do much for the stone but its pretty good, its the dirt and Kaliche roads that suffer when water gets on them. I managed to pop about 100 old cedar stumps out of the remaining roads today and got them all smoothed pretty decent. When I got back and started looking at the box to see what I might do to keep the rear blade from swinging I realized that over the last couple of months I've managed to put a pretty good smile into the primary fixed blade it doesn't seem to effect the cutting but I guess I should have gotten a Cat Class 3 type BB they were about $2,000 more then the XB84 but came with hydraulic scarifiers in hind sight it would have been better for my terrain. The box looks like I've got enough room to drill it with a 3/4" bit and pin it to the cheeks, I did try the raising the box blade thing and just dragging the rear but it really does just open completely up and slide along the road. I did see what one of the other posters was saying about with both blades fixed stuff could get stuck between them because popping the stumps out numerous got wedged between the two blades and required reverse to dislodge them, if I'd had the rear pinned I'd of been trying to unpin it to get them out because they get pretty jammed up between them.
Steve

/ Hinged Box Blade to pin or not to pin? How'd Udoit #17  

Steve,

Ahhhhh, Kaliche..... that brings back memories! Used to live outside of Albq on the west mesa. First time I went to plant a tree, I thought there was an old foundation 6" under the surface.

I tried to take a pic today of my box, but the camera batts were dead. Will try with the other camera in the AM. "should" be an easy retrofit, but...

Must say that I am surprised that the rear blade isn't lockable. Do you have scarifiers on your box?

jb

/ Hinged Box Blade to pin or not to pin? How'd Udoit #18  

Steve,

Ahhhhh, Kaliche..... that brings back memories! Used to live outside of Albq on the west mesa. First time I went to plant a tree, I thought there was an old foundation 6" under the surface.

I tried to take a pic today of my box, but the camera batts were dead. Will try with the other camera in the AM. "should" be an easy retrofit, but...

Must say that I am surprised that the rear blade isn't lockable. Do you have scarifiers on your box?

jb

John_Bud I'll include some pictures finally if you notice on the one I took of the rear you can see where the rear blade goes up and down there aren't any stops until it is completely open the only holes are where the pivot pins are located. Also on the underside shot notice the tweak I have put in the front blade over the last year or so it is beefy metal with a 4" X 4" 5/16" angle where the blade attaches can't believe it is bending, I probably should have it cut off and reinforced but it still works OK for now. It'll take numerous post to get the pictures on the thread so bear with me.
Steve

Attachments

• 890712-TBN3.JPG
    890712-TBN3.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 214

John_Bud I'll include some pictures finally if you notice on the one I took of the rear you can see where the rear blade goes up and down there aren't any stops until it is completely open the only holes are where the pivot pins are located. Also on the underside shot notice the tweak I have put in the front blade over the last year or so it is beefy metal with a 4" X 4" 5/16" angle where the blade attaches can't believe it is bending, I probably should have it cut off and reinforced but it still works OK for now. It'll take numerous post to get the pictures on the thread so bear with me.
Steve