Hit immovable object in float

/ Hit immovable object in float #1  

azuerch

Tractor
2021 Kioti NX4510
Hello,
first big snowfall with my new Kioti NX. It handled the drive cleanup very well. I was using mix of FEL and rear blade. I was pushing the snow with bucket in float and pushing the snow to a side and piling it up. All was going good til I got to the sidewalk. My first pass I was very cautious as I approached the concrete (rest of drive is gravel) and pushed snow over the sideewalk and dumped. Then my next pass I thought the sidewalk wouldn't be an issue so I didn't slow as as much as I approached and the left corner of the bucket cutting edge caught the concrete. The tractor bucked and it almost appeared that the bucket/loader twisted but it happened so quickly I can't be sure. However everything seemed to operate normally aftewards and I cleared snow for another 30 min.
The tractor was covered with snow when I was finished so I parked it in the shed to let it dry out. I want look it over in detail for any damage. What damage can be caused by this type of contact? Is there anything specific I should look for? How would I know if I tweaked my loader frame/cylinders?

From an operating standpoint was this the wrong way to get the job done? I did some searching to see if anyone else had done this (hit something in float) but dind't find too much. Some people mentioned only back dragging in float mode but if I wasn't using float the same result may have happened if the bucket was too low to the ground for clearing snow.

Thoughts? I'm trying to learn from my mistakes. :)

Thanks

/ Hit immovable object in float #2  
Hello,
first big snowfall with my new Kioti NX. It handled the drive cleanup very well. I was using mix of FEL and rear blade. I was pushing the snow with bucket in float and pushing the snow to a side and piling it up. All was going good til I got to the sidewalk. My first pass I was very cautious as I approached the concrete (rest of drive is gravel) and pushed snow over the sideewalk and dumped. Then my next pass I thought the sidewalk wouldn't be an issue so I didn't slow as as much as I approached and the left corner of the bucket cutting edge caught the concrete. The tractor bucked and it almost appeared that the bucket/loader twisted but it happened so quickly I can't be sure. However everything seemed to operate normally aftewards and I cleared snow for another 30 min.
The tractor was covered with snow when I was finished so I parked it in the shed to let it dry out. I want look it over in detail for any damage. What damage can be caused by this type of contact? Is there anything specific I should look for? How would I know if I tweaked my loader frame/cylinders?

From an operating standpoint was this the wrong way to get the job done? I did some searching to see if anyone else had done this (hit something in float) but dind't find too much. Some people mentioned only back dragging in float mode but if I wasn't using float the same result may have happened if the bucket was too low to the ground for clearing snow.

Thanks
Generally only float when back dragging, in your situation, not sure float would be worse than down and fixed.

Get on a level surface, certainly look everything over, but, if the loader edge is level to the surface, you are probably ok.

Best,

ed

/ Hit immovable object in float #3  
Look for cracks and flexed paint on the loader arms. I suggest if you use the tractor to plow, get a blade for the loader. Snow plow blades usually have a trip mechanism to allow for these things.

If you were going slow and being careful, you are probably fine. I have hit a number of thing with my 770 and Kubota that made me wince, and never had any damage (to the loader or bucket). Peeled up a section of my paved driveway though. That was great.

If using the loader bucket to plow again, I suggest curling the cutting edge up slightly. Or better, use a piece of pipe (cut lengthwise) to ride over objects. Doesn't plow as clean, but you won't damage anything. Again, think about a blade. Search the forum here and you'll find tons of info and options.

/ Hit immovable object in float #4  
sounds like you might find out why tractors arnt ment for dozer work. just be careful doing it

/ Hit immovable object in float #5  
My guess is that you are OK.

I use float in the forward direction sometimes, but when things are right it will cause the front of the tractor to lift. This is not necessarily an issue. AND you probably with snow did not experience it anyway.

Your bucket was probably in a position that kept the cylinder rods only partially extended. The biggest danger is having the cylinder rods fully extended and hitting something, that cause force against them, which might bend them. Does not sound like you did this. This situation would actually come about with the bucket fully curled down, and when backing up. Does not apply to your situation.

Granted, you could have bent something when hitting it on one side of the bucket when going forward. Something to consider...what's the chances? I don't know. BUT after 20 years I have not managed to do damage to my loader, and I do not baby it.

So my GUESS is that you are OK.

/ Hit immovable object in float #6  
Have a look around the loader frames that connect the loader to the engine. Like above^^^ check for stressed paint that might mean bending or cracks. If the loader seems slightly off, you can loosen the mounting bolts and then re tighten to release any stress from the impact.

/ Hit immovable object in float #7  
All depends on your speed, really. How fast were you going?

I use my bucket in float as well, but take the first pass or 2 pretty slowly. Little less than a brisk walking speed. When it hits something, the tractor's front will rise giving you a warning to back off the throttle. Dont be in a rush.

/ Hit immovable object in float #8  
Hello,

Thanks
For those who don't have the tools to do a long straight in a pipe lengthwise, edge tamers. They do leave a half inch layer of snow, but except for heavy wet sticky Puget Sound snow, it will leave the gravel where it is.

/ Hit immovable object in float #9  
I plow deep snow with the bucket and blade combination. But since my road is gravel, I hold the bucket about 3” above the ground and use my reversed blade in float to skim the last 3 inches.

/ Hit immovable object in float
Looked it over last night before I went and did some additional cleanup on the drive. I didn't notice anything that made me worry. The Kioti KL6010 loader is pretty beefy but the mass of the tractor moving is not lightweight. Lesson learned and I'll be more careful in the future. Thanks all for the advice!