Hobart 135

/ Hobart 135 #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I bought this welder around 8 years ago. It was a 110 welder which is what I thought was great at the time as I was buying it to welded up a few steel models. I liked the idea of being able to use it anywhere without needing a 220 outlet. Well I never used it very much at first, made up a couple brackets to mount rear work lights on one of my tractors (built a shround on it to protect them from limbs). Then I started working on repairing more and more equipment with thicker steel and started regretting buying it since I couldn't use it on thicker steel. So I had to take the equipment to friends and have them weld it for me. But tonight I was welding up a mount for the electic shutoffs to mount on my sprayer and I started realizing it is a nice little welder. I have used it to fix some stachions in a dairy barn (the welds never broke even from the cows abuse), built a heavy duty fender framework on a utility trailer that I use to haul posts in the vineyard (it has held up to having entire bundles of posts dropped on it and has never failed). There have been a couple other small items built up and I have never had a weld fail.

I will admit when I bought this welder the only welding I have ever done in my life was welding two small pieces of flat steel together in shop class as a project (the shop teacher then hammered them till the weld failed then assigned a grade). I really am just welding by guess for the most part as I use the recommended settings on the welder for the steel thickness and just go from there. I just use flux core wire as I had never welded enough to justify getting any gas (welder is setup for gas). But for as poor of a welder I will admit to being I have been very happy with the results from this welder. So happy in fact that as I was sitting there taking a break just looking at the welder I started thinking about adding a more powerful Mig for the thicker steel I haven't been able to weld. Its hard to justify buying another welder but if I ever get my shop set up like I want then I can see doing more welding and having a good place to weld at.

So as happy as I am with my little Hobart I am wondering what recommendations you guys with more experience would have for my next welder? I would think I would like to stay with Hobart/Miller since I have had good luck with this one. I am also thinking of adding gas to my current 135 to start gaining more experience welding with gas instead of relying on flux core wire. Is there any advantage of using flux core wire with gas though?

/ Hobart 135 #2  
.... I am also thinking of adding gas to my current 135 to start gaining more experience welding with gas instead of relying on flux core wire. Is there any advantage of using flux core wire with gas though?

Welding in Mig mode with gas is almost impossible to use outdoors unless you build temporary windbreaks as the wind blows the shielding gas away. Fluxcore works fine outdoors and fluxcore also has slightly higher penetration properties over mig which can be especially helpful on a 115 volt unit. Welder is more portable too with fluxcore as you can carry it and go - no push cart needed. Fluxcore is not as good though on really really thin metal due to the increased penetration of it and is not recommended for body work as the flux residue can cause paint bubbling even after meticulous prep/cleaning.

My recommendation for you next welder would be a Hobart 235 AC/DC160 stickwelder. Or a Miller Thunderbolt AC 235/DC 150. I personally would not buy a new one though as good deals are to be had on used ones of these and they rarely ever break ($200 or so used). You will need 240 volt power for one of these.

Use the wire feeder for thin stuff and the stick welder for heavy stuff and dirty/rusty stuff and you have lots of bases covered for minimal investment.

As for me I have both a 115 volt mig (Lincoln SP-135P which is very similar to your Hobart) and I use fluxcore exclusively even though I have a gas bottle. I also have a Miller Thunderbolt 235AC/150DC. If I could only keep one welder it would be the Miller Thunderbolt Stick welder is it is much more versatile (I can weld with it cheaply as there are no consumables except rods and electricity, I can crudely cut with it, I can even intensely heat metal for bending or free rusted nuts with it, or even braze with it for the mere cost of electricity alone which is cheap.) The mig while an admittingly nice unit is really an expensive one trick pony and only excels at welding thin clean metal and mig consumables do add up over time (e.g tips and liners). That said a stick welder does not excel at welding thin metal so they do compliment one another.

Last edited:
   / Hobart 135 #3  
I think rankrank1 is pretty much on target. The fluxcore gives you better penetration but gas gives you cleaner welds (less slag) when you can use it. Also solid wire is a lot less expensive than fluxcore wire. As you have found out, your existing welder does great on moderate thickness metal.

For heavier work, especially outdoor or dirty metal, the Hobart or Miller he recommended will do the job. As I understand it, the AC portion will do the heavier work than the less powerful DC section, so depending on your needs and finances, you could pick up an AC only Lincoln 225. I've seen them listed on Craigslist for as low as $125.

Of course, for any heavy welding, you will need a 230v outlet. The portability of a stickwelder depends on having 230v outlets or a generator that can run it. (The other alternative is oxy/acetylene which doesn't need any electric.)

Ken

/ Hobart 135 #4  
I picked up a flux-core only 110 unit a couple years back......it is crap. Penetration wasn't all that great, and the welds looked like a real mess. I wish I'd picked up a good stick machine instead for less. I now use a good 220v MIG welder for my welding. I usually end up working in an open garage with the gas turned up.

dual shield wire (flux core with gas) is a dream to work with and make a stronger weld than solid wire in general. downsides are slag, cost, and you may need different rollers.

/ Hobart 135 #5  
I picked up a flux-core only 110 unit a couple years back......it is crap....Penetration wasn't all that great, and the welds looked like a real mess...

Those crappy $100 to $150 Harbor freight, TSC, etc. wire feeders are just that -crap. In short they output AC which is a definite no no with wire feeders (AC output on a stick welder is okay as there are stick rods designed to work with AC). All Mig wire or alternatively fluxcore wire is designed to be burned on both DC output and CV. An AC output on a wire feeder offers neither of these and is exactly why you did not get any penetration and your welds looked like crap. It should be criminal to sell these things but the misinformed buy them thinking they are getting a deal, but in actuality are getting crap and are wasting their money.

The Hobart 135 or the Lincoln SP-135P are actually quality 115 volt units (Miller has models too as well as other manufacturers) that do offer the proper type DC outputs and work very well on metal up to 1/8" with ease with 3/16" being about the practical limit. 230 volt units of these just have the ability to weld thicker metal than their 115 volt smaller brothers. The 230 volt unit is hence better for this reason but the 115 volt convenience is nice for some people.

/ Hobart 135 #6  
Mine is a Clarke 135sg. It can be converted to solid wire MIG, and one of the steps to do so is to reverse polarity, so I assume it is a true DC machine.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Clarke-WE6441-135SG-Fluxcore-Welder/dp/B000RH6JBA/ref=pd_cp_hi_0]Amazon.com: Clarke WE6441 135SG Fluxcore/MIG Spool Gun Welder: Home Improvement[/ame]

I don't doubt a hobart/miller/lincoln would be better, but I'd never buy another 110v machine again. If you want 110 convenience, get a dual input machine, or the Hobart battery powered one that uses 110 to charge the internal battery.

Honestly though, running a 220v line is not that hard and most generators output 220 volts too.

/ Hobart 135
Groo said:
Mine is a Clarke 135sg. It can be converted to solid wire MIG, and one of the steps to do so is to reverse polarity, so I assume it is a true DC machine.
Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Clarke-WE6441-135SG-Fluxcore-Welder/dp/B000RH6JBA/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I don't doubt a hobart/miller/lincoln would be better, but I'd never buy another 110v machine again. If you want 110 convenience, get a dual input machine, or the Hobart battery powered one that uses 110 to charge the internal battery.

Honestly though, running a 220v line is not that hard and most generators output 220 volts too.

I agree, its not hard but when i take my welder anywhere i need it it becomes a headache having to run 220 everywhere i go. I've used it in 3 different barns, a couple jobsites and yesterday in my basement. That was the reason i went with the 135, the portability of it. If i had a good shop then I would most likely went with a more powerful unit but at the time I bought I didnt have a good shop (still don't actually ). The hobart 135 really does do a great job with the proper sized material. And I can use it anywhere I need to.

/ Hobart 135 #8  
Anyone have any experience with the dual voltage DC inverter units available out there? I want (need) the convenience of 120v but would like the option to connect to 240v if I want additional power.

/ Hobart 135 #9  
Anyone have any experience with the dual voltage DC inverter units available out there? I want (need) the convenience of 120v but would like the option to connect to 240v if I want additional power.

I don't think it is an inverter type but I recently got a Miller 211 MVP which runs both 110 and 220. I've only used it with 220 but it does well and seems to have a good reputation.

I'm new and learning and I'm very happy with the machine.

Ken

/ Hobart 135 #10  
I don't think it is an inverter type but I recently got a Miller 211 MVP which runs both 110 and 220. I've only used it with 220 but it does well and seems to have a good reputation.

I'm new and learning and I'm very happy with the machine.

Ken

Wasn't familiar with the Miller unit you have and looked it up. :confused2:

*Definitely* out of my price range! Very nice unit. Would probably be a shame to limit yourself to 110v on that Miller if you didn't have to.