Hobart/Miller/Lincoln?

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #1  

theboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HST
I HOPE to sell a home this year where the whole check ain't going to pay some bill and have $500 or so to buy me a stick welder. I was thinking that AC/DC Lincoln (tombstone), or the Hobart Stickmate LX-235 or Miller Thunderbolt (if the price is right)..... Any recommendations? I hope to find a good used one, but a new one MAY fit the budget if the deal is good..again tryin' to stay as close $500 as possible. Any other suggestions?

I was told by my welder co-workers get the AC/DC model because of the increased capacity of the machine...

Doin' the general fab around the shed thing, and to improve my skills for my construction job so maybe I can become a welder (by golly)....

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #2  
I'd ditch the AC/DC tombstone idea because it weights a ton and you'll likely never use AC after working with DC. You can find them on the cheap on Craigslist however.

Something in the DC inverter category should do the job. I have an Everlast Power Arc 200 that does wonders around the farm and is VERY reasonably priced. ($350 or make an offer) Quite portable and it runs off of a decent sized generator. You'd have money left over for some rod and other essentials. The warranty is attractive as well.

Everlast has a new PA 300 with more bells and whistles for more money but it is more suited to a professional. Can't image needing 300 amps on a farm project. Even hardfacing doesn't take that much.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/Powerarc.php

If you are a China-hater then prepare to spend a lot more.

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #3  
I was able to pick up a Miller Dial Arc 250 for $200.00 with out lead but had the power cord and wheel kit.

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #4  
I really like my Everlast PA160 inverter DC only. it was $269.. Does all I need to do, and I also TIG with it.. You can sling it over your shoulder and walk off with it.. weigh's about 20 lbs. or so. Will run 1/8 7018 at 122 amps as fast as you can burn them, one right after the other.

James K0UA

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #5  
Every once in awhile you stumble onto a good deal. I picked up one of these, with a Miller high frequency box, air cooled Tig torch, some lead, ground clamp, and stinger for $50.00. But don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen again!

Attachments

• Lincoln Idealarc 2.jpg
    Lincoln Idealarc 2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 632
   / Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #6  
I HOPE to sell a home this year where the whole check ain't going to pay some bill and have $500 or so to buy me a stick welder. I was thinking that AC/DC Lincoln (tombstone), or the Hobart Stickmate LX-235 or Miller Thunderbolt (if the price is right)..... Any recommendations? I hope to find a good used one, but a new one MAY fit the budget if the deal is good..again tryin' to stay as close $500 as possible. Any other suggestions?

I was told by my welder co-workers get the AC/DC model because of the increased capacity of the machine...

Doin' the general fab around the shed thing, and to improve my skills for my construction job so maybe I can become a welder (by golly)....

If you haven't taken a beginning arc welding course, do your self a favor and do that. It's the quickest way to learn.

I picked up a Miller DialArc 250 P ac/dc with 50 ft of leads and the power cord plus about 75 ponds of assorted rods, including hardfacing. The guy just bought an wire feed inverter and wasn't using this anymore. I'm building a cart for it so I can move it around when I'm not using it (it weighs 360 pounds!).It's really a great welder. I think the old Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC "tombstone" is pretty comparable.

I had a Lincoln 225/125 AC/DC welder which I sold after I got the Miller for $400 with 30 ft leads and plug. It doesn't have the duty cycle of the 250 amp machines but it 's excellent for most home shop and farm/ranch welding. To be truthful I didn't "need" the bigger machine but it was such a good buy I feel I got the increased capability for free (actually I made money!).The small Lincoln and the Miller Thunderbolt and Hobart AC/DC machines are all in the same class and are a good beginner outfit but if you look around you can find the bigger Miller and Lincoln machines at some pretty good prices because a lot of guys are going to the smaller inverter machines.

Last edited:
   / Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #7  
I've got the Everlast PA300. Its pretty sweet and I know I got more than I needed but I really wanted the adjustable hot start and arc force. If they haven't stopped it yet, Everlast is also offering TBN members a 20% discount on almost everything right now.

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln?
Thanks guys! I haven't any real training welding, but from time to time I get on the job training from some great welders! I hope to get a class. That Everlast sounds REAL good for what I need it for (playin').

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln?
I got myself a welder by little tradin' 'round. It's Lincoln AC-235-S, not the AC/DC as I'd hoped but it should do what I need to do, and that's learn to weld and then odd and end projects.... I think I came out pretty good..... Got rid of stuff I don't use/need for something I really wanted...
All I gotta do is put a new end on the power cord, they'd used a washer pigtail :), folks do what they gotta do...

/ Hobart/Miller/Lincoln? #10  
Thats a fine welder to start with, and frankly if you wanted to keep it for life it would do most jobs just fine.

My adivce - Just keep your eyes open for a DC one and buy that one and then sell the old one. You'll probably get what you paid for it or more, if you try.