Hobart or Lincoln?

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #21  
shovelhead said:
I do prefer stick rod for penetration when I have metal 1/4 inch thick or more.

Ah, you just don't have a big enough MIG. I can blow holes through 1/2" with my MIG. I doubt I have much in my shop that is less than 1/4" thick. Anything thinner I call sheet metal. :D Dollar for dollar though, you can weld thicker steel with a less expensive stick machine than you can for the same priced MIG machine. For anything 1" thick and over, a submerged arc weld works the best.

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #22  
Dargo, you are right. TexasSD was looking at the little Hobart and Lincoln MIGs. They are "sheet metal" welders compared to your rig!

shovel

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #23  
I'll chime in with my $.02 worth.
I had a Century 145 mig for about 10 years. I ran the daylights out of that thing and it finally gave up (fried cooling fan). It could have been repaired, but the cost would be pretty high to still have a 10 year old welder. About that time, TSC had a smoking hot deal on the HH 180 in a kit package that included the welder, cart, a small gas bottle, wire, gloves, chipping hammer, wire brush, and a decent auto-dark helmet. I don't remember the exact cost at the time, but I think it was in the $500-600 range. After Christmas, they started cutting the price to move them out. Unfortunately, the local store was sold out prior to the cut and I had to travel a ways to get mine, but at under $500 (I don't remember the exact price anymore) it was well worth it. I have been very happy with the machine, the taps are nice. (the Century was infinate and sometimes very tempermental to find the "sweet spot" on certain jobs.) It is also interesting to note that the gun has "miller" embossed right on the collar so clearly there is some interchange of parts. The portability of this machine is a bit of a joke as it takes a pretty good man to lug it around by the suitcase handle on top. I'd guess it must be close to 100#. For what I paid, I didn't think I could go wrong, and I don't think I did. Long story short, if you can wait, keep an eye on TSC around the holidays, they may run a similar special again.

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #24  
I bpught the HH180 and it works very well, I have welded quite a bit with it and have had no problems and do not regret buying it. But if it blew up or got stolen I would buy a the Miller, my neighbor has one and it just seems like it runs a better bead.
Also if you are going to be welding in any kind of breeze at all you are going to need to use flux core wire.

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #25  
Thanks for answering my question PBinWA,
Having almost no experience in welding with a mig gun, I really didn't know the answer.
My welding instructor kept telling me to get my tuss back into that TIG booth and forget about the Mig. He said he could teach a monkey to run a mig gun, and that Tig was where the money was at.
So I bought a big tig machine, and that is what I play with. I actually later purchased a mig gun for it, but a friend knew I had it and had never taken the time to hook it up. He waited till I needed something, and guess what the price was... the mig gun setup.
David from jax

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #26  
They are both fine as long as they will weld the material thickness that you intend to use. Once you get a mig welder and become used to it VS a stick welder, you will want to use it for everything! Do not buy to small! Get the needed Amperage unit for the thickest material you intend to weld. I have a Miller 210. Recently invested in a plasma cutter fro HTP America Inc., wished I had know about them, they have some very nice reasonably priced equipment. Go to Welding Equipment - Welding Supplies - HTP America, Inc. and request a catalog or call 1-800-USA-WELD