Hobby olive oil production

/ Hobby olive oil production #1  

psient

Bronze Member
HI:

Anyone done a dyi olive oil mill/extractor/malaxer/separator? I am planting a very small grove and want to produce my own olive oil. I have a mill and lathe and machining skills.

Thanks

/ Hobby olive oil production #2  
Sounds interesting. I know a few guys with old cider presses. I know that works nicely on a small scale.

How much does an olive press differ from a cider press?

/ Hobby olive oil production #3  
HI:

Anyone done a dyi olive oil mill/extractor/malaxer/separator? I am planting a very small grove and want to produce my own olive oil. I have a mill and lathe and machining skills.

Thanks

Use the search function on this site for Olives or Olive Oil ..there is a woman who started a grove and has her own mil etc. and the thread is extensive..you could PM her for advice...good luck

/ Hobby olive oil production #4  
Use the search function on this site for Olives or Olive Oil ..there is a woman who started a grove and has her own mil etc. and the thread is extensive..you could PM her for advice...good luck

Think you will find her user name is Rox or something similar..........She grows olives in France.
I tried to PM her but got no reply...perhaps you will have better luck.
But you may mean someone else?

regards

/ Hobby olive oil production #5  
I was thinking of Rox myself but I haven't seen posts from her in awhile.

I love olive oil, especially the good stuff mixed with good vinegar to make home made Italian salad dressing like my grandmother and mother taught me to make.

JB.

/ Hobby olive oil production #6  
I have never seen an olive tree before except on TV. This thread caught my attention. I am seeking only one question. How many years does it take an olive tree to mature and bear production quality olives? :)

/ Hobby olive oil production
I have never seen an olive tree before except on TV. This thread caught my attention. I am seeking only one question. How many years does it take an olive tree to mature and bear production quality olives? :)

Hi:

It takes 3 to 4 years. The trees I am receiving number 20 and will be about 3 feet tall. In January I'll receive another 20. The total grove will then be 40 producing trees. I figure by about the time I retire I should be able to make table fruit and oil.

The processing of oil isn't complicated. Figure if a villager some 5 thousand years ago can do it so can I. I think all you need is a scope of the work and some design help. Rox probably didn't build one herself. I'll check out the thread though.

It takes a Hammer Mill, a Press or Centrifuge, A Malaxer, and a Collection tank. For 35-50K you can by a ready-made module that'll let you begin production immediately. Using China you can get the price down even cheaper.

The skills and tools/machines I have should be sufficient; mig,stick,tig,acetylene welding, horizontal saw, 13X40 lathe, Bridgeport mill. I plan to buy a vertical machining center sometime soon. That will be a big boon as it can do most any shape with precision.

If anyone runs across more information let me in on it please.

Thanks to everyone for their interest!

Jon

/ Hobby olive oil production #8  
I heard in Italy where olive oil is a huge industry, they have so many pits that they have stoves to make use of the free fuel.

When My mother and step father went to Italy a few years ago to visit the villages where their relatives still live, they hauled back several gallons of some super premium oil, man you could eat it straight up by itself, it was out of this world. They were both 80 years old, but even though they struggled with the load they were not gonna give it up :licking:

JB

/ Hobby olive oil production #10  
Forgeblast, thanks for the info on the olive oil production. We are trying to eat healther..