Holland Transplanter Frame Rebuild

/ Holland Transplanter Frame Rebuild #1  
Tractor
Kubota L3200, Ford 1710, Ford 1310, Farmall Super A (x2)
I have a Holland transplanter I use for planting my seedlings and potatoes. I plant on raised beds and the only problem I have had is that I have been only able to plant a single row down the middle of each bed. This is fine for potatoes and squash, but I want to be able to plant two or three rows side by side without having to purchase a double unit, which wouldn't likely plant closely enough anyway.
Currently the transplanter has a water tank mounted to the 3pt hitch and the actual transplanter unit mounted to that. This also makes it very long and unwieldy to manoeuvre.
transplanter.jpgwater tank.jpg
The plan is to cut the water tank off the 3pt hitch and mount it on a SSQA adaptor plate for mounting on the loader. Then the transplanter can be moved up closer and made to shift side to side should the need be. I want to be able to plant the rows 16" apart, but will make the planter able to shift 12" either way for a total of 24" should my needs ever change.
To allow the transplanter to slide side to side I will use a steel tube inside of steel pipe that I can side from side to side and pin in place. For the pipe I will use 2" schedule 40 that has an outside diameter of 2.38" and an inside diameter of 2.07". I will then use 2" x .120 wall steel tube for the pipe to slide over. The pipe will be mounted to the transplanter and the tube to the 3pt hookup.
The transplanter already had a 15/16" hole where it mounted with a bar to the water tank. I took a 2-3/8" hole saw and made an aluminium pilot so I could enlarge the hole.
holesaw.jpg
The hole might be a bit small for the pipe but I will cut the ends off and it will be close enough to weld it in place.
enlarged hole.jpg

Attachments

• transplanter.jpg
    transplanter.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 133
  • water tank.jpg
    water tank.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 108
   / Holland Transplanter Frame Rebuild
I have made a bit of progress on the new 3pt attachment for the transplanter.

The pipe that gets welded to the transplanter has been cut and holes drilled in it. I havn't welded it yet, but here it is with and without the centre tube.
20150121_193842.jpg20150121_193929.jpg

I was going to use the existing frame, but it is fairly heavy where it doesn't need to be so I can save it for a future project, plus it wasn't quite going to work for what I wanted to accomplish.

I have drawn up a new 3pt mount and will get a local company to plasma cut the flat parts out for me. Will have to wait now until they are finished.
Transplanter 3pt Hitch Front View.jpgTransplanter 3pt Hitch.jpg

The bottom tube is welded to the front of the transplanter and the smaller top tube will hold a chain that runs to just behind the seats on the planter. The chain is important because it will allow the unit to float on the back drive wheels of the transplanter and the front tube. This will keep it level without top link pressure forcing it any which way.