Holly Tree or Bush Removal by Spraying?

/ Holly Tree or Bush Removal by Spraying? #1  

arto98607

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, John Deere 440 ICD, John Deere 300
I searched TBN for Holly spraying but found only Holly Tree removal by tractor bucket attachments etc. in the Project Forum, so here is my question:

Would spraying with Crossbow or similar work to kill very small Holly trees or brush?
I have a large size sprayer setup in the back of my ATV, which could be reasonably driven in the area while spraying.

We have an area of fairly closely spaced decent size White Fir & Douglas Fir trees, with quite a bit of small (so far!) Holly invading the area!

The Fir trees are close enough together that it's not really feasible to drive my tractor with a brush hog in-between.

Crossbow instructions do not mention Holly, but they mention whole bunch of other easy & harder-to-control species:

Woody.jpg

Anyone here with experience in spraying Holly successfully?

/ Holly Tree or Bush Removal by Spraying? #2  
My focus is on killing Mesquite. It's an invasive tree that spreads from seeds and it's roots. If you cut it down, the roots will sprout a dozen or more new trees. When cattle eat the seed pods, they poop out the seeds, which end up sprouting. This is how we ended up with Mesquite all over Texas, it's from the cattle drives back in the 1800's.

Mesquite is one of the hardest trees to get rid of. There are several products that work, but only a few that you can buy without an Applicators' License. I buy Remedy from places like Tractor Supply for almost $100 a gallon.

I mix it with 3 gallons of diesel fuel in a 4 gallon backpack sprayer. This is a little on the strong side, but since I'm dealing with everything from new saplings, to trees that are decades old, I want it good and strong.

For the younger saplings, spraying on the leaves works good. For anything with a trunk an inch thick or thicker, I spray 12 inches up the trunk, all the way around it. For the older, bigger trees that are six inches thick or thicker, I notch the truck several times with a hatchet before spraying.

They say that you can spray Remedy all year round, but they also say that the best time to spray is in the Spring when the leaves are coming out and the ground is warming up.

I've never used Crossbow, and I've never tried to kill Holly Trees. My guess is that Remedy and diesel would get the job done, but I can't say if it's the most cost effective way to do it or not.

/ Holly Tree or Bush Removal by Spraying? #3  
Would spraying with Crossbow or similar work to kill very small Holly trees or brush?
I have a large size sprayer setup in the back of my ATV, which could be reasonably driven in the area while spraying.
my two cents FWIW..... since crossbow approach would be an off label approach I would say not a great idea.

around our parts a glyphosate or a triclopyr is considered an approved approach