home built FEL

/ home built FEL #11  
If you take a few quick measurements of your machine ( frame mount location, post height, beam distance to where the bucket rests close to the front wheels ) the rest will fall into place. It is helpful to study hydraulic cylinder open and closed distances for proper fit and the height it lifts as applied to the loader frame. Sometimes they have specials on cylinders and if you can incorporate them in your plan it saves time and money. The tubing, hoses, and fittings were a bit pricey. Overall it was a fun project, especially the bucket and the quick attach system. I think the bending was only fifty dollars on a 1/8" sheet 63" by 48" with a small piece left over.
Even a genaric plan would have to be altered because machines are different widths, lengths and depending on the height. Besides... I like making my own mistakes. Sometimes I even remember them for future projects.
Can you imagine the profit JD makes on this item alone ? They have everything engineered out to the thinest degree, buy parts by the thousands, and even delete primer in the painting process. The dealer pays more for shipping than they have invested in the attachment. ( my opinion only )

/ home built FEL #12  
That is a nice looking homemade loader,impressive, when you said you have $800 in material is that including the hoses and joystick valve? or just the metal?

/ home built FEL #13  
My JD came with a control valve / joy stick as standard equipment. The iron was only thirty five cents a pound at a local steel yard. The hoses, steel lines, fittings and four cylinders were the bulk of the expense.
The dealer wanted $375 for the loader mounts, $2800 for the loader / bucket , $300 for freight and another $300 to mount it plus tax. It just got too expensive for the green logo. I built my own grille guard. I think there was a charge for the JD one too as it is a part of the loader mounting system. As it was explained to me... " Yah got to have it "