Home heating oil and really cold weather

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
So, in spite of putting winter additives into my diesel fuel, I had some gelling problems last weekend. Granted, it was the coldest that it'd been in PA in my whole lifetime, I'd say, so it wasn't too shocking. But, it got me wondering, home heating oil must have some sort of additive to prevent it from gelling like that, considering it is used pretty much only when it's cold. Is this a safe assumption? If so, I might switch to using that in my Kubota if there is no harm in doing so (either to the engine or to the cost effectiveness).

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #2  
I thought most heating oil tanks were in the basement?

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #3  
I thought most heating oil tanks were in the basement?

Not around here. Granted most do not use Home Heating Oil anymore but I would say 65% are outside, 30% are in the garage or basement, and 5% are buried.

Chris

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #4  
So, in spite of putting winter additives into my diesel fuel, I had some gelling problems last weekend. Granted, it was the coldest that it'd been in PA in my whole lifetime, I'd say, so it wasn't too shocking. But, it got me wondering, home heating oil must have some sort of additive to prevent it from gelling like that, considering it is used pretty much only when it's cold. Is this a safe assumption? If so, I might switch to using that in my Kubota if there is no harm in doing so (either to the engine or to the cost effectiveness).

Home heating oil (#1 diesel) doen't have the parafins in it tht #2 diesel has and that's the reason why the lower heating value is less than #2 diesel. Those parafins are what starts to pretcipitate out and cause gelling problems.

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #5  
Home heating oil (#1 diesel) doen't have the parafins in it tht #2 diesel has and that's the reason why the lower heating value is less than #2 diesel. Those parafins are what starts to pretcipitate out and cause gelling problems.

Home heating oil around here is #2. When I was on a truck we put about 25% #1 with it in cold weather.

Only the old carburetor units and Timkin rotarys used straight #1

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #6  
So, in spite of putting winter additives into my diesel fuel, I had some gelling problems last weekend.

I was worried about my tractor and fuel too after this recent cold snap. It was 0 F here last week, which is a rarity. Had white Powerservice in my fuel and am happy to report that there were no problems. Any idea why your fuel gelled if it was treated? I'm trying to learn from your mistakes.:thumbsup:

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather
Any idea why your fuel gelled if it was treated? I'm trying to learn from your mistakes.:thumbsup:

No, not really sure. The only thing I can think of is that I added the treatment to a full tank, since my tank was already full when I got the bottle. I poured the appropriate amount in and rocked the tractor some to mix it in, but I doubt that did much. I also doubt that adding it to the full tank was the cause, anyway.

It might seem that this could be the cause if I then didn't run the tractor, therefore leaving untreated fuel in the fuel lines, but I did run it for a while after adding it. I wound up putting a heat gun to the fuel lines under the hood and a heater under the tractor, and it eventually started.

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #8  
Glad it doesn't get that cold around here all the time.

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #9  
My oil tank is outside. If I don't treat it.. it gels.

/ Home heating oil and really cold weather #10  
Solve the problem with a Rollie Tank Heater.. Thermostatically controlled and only uses 13 watts at temps under 40 Degrees. Rollie Systems - Tank Heaters & Equipment

I removed my steel tank from the crawl space this summer and replaced with a Roth tank outside in an insulated enclosure with the Rollie in line feeder tube heater. The Roth tanks only feed from the top and are double wall but Rollie make in line heaters too.

Works great - the temp inside the oil hut was 22* when the outside temp was -10..

The picture is the 36"x72" "oil hut" I built at the rear of the house - has an access door where the window is for the heater, gauge view and such. The fill and vent pipe are on the opposite side.

Attachments

• Oil Hut.jpg
    Oil Hut.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 193