Posthole Digger Home made post hole digger

/ Home made post hole digger #11  
I agree with you, John. ...and how about repairing/replacing the motor on his two-man unit. Wouldn't that be less than $200? Gosh, for a six-pack, I'd probably loan him mine./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Home made post hole digger #12  
I like the idea of finding an orbit type (high torque) slow speed hydraulic motor on ebay. It would ron off an auxillary hydraulic valve. Would be like the units that are put on Bobcat skid steer. If the bit got stuck, you could simply reverse direction. Also, no worry about tearing up the pto driveline, no clutch, no PTO shaft.

I have seen some hydraulic units that are bolted to the FEL bucket. Lots of stroke.

JRPoux

/ Home made post hole digger #13  
I invented this idea the other day and then joined this site because I found other people who already invented it. Truck rears are indestructible and plentiful, I have scrapped them before to get them out of my way. I figured, why not
- take a ford ranger rear or something I have, cut the axels off
- use a ranger drive-shaft slipped over a piece of pipe welded to a pto-coupler for a drive shaft
-weld brackets to the rear end or makea huge camp to bolt around it to not weekend the case to mount to 3 point hitch so that it can swivel around like a "real" post hole digger that has gears 1/2 as strong as a truck rear-end
--and make some sort of coupler to use Tractor Supply or similar bits.

---my question is_----- should you feed the PTO power to the regular input shaft of the truck rear?? -OR--should it feed through an axel and have the auger attached to the yoke on the input shaft?????? I think that woudl gear it down slower......... I think. kw_y2k@hotmail.com sub post auger.

Need to figure out the pto shaft so it can slip to lengtehn/shorten as you raise up and down. Has to be a way to NOT have to pay for a shaft! Too bad driveshafts aren't square in trucks.

/ Home made post hole digger #14  
TBN member Mousefield -? I think is his handle has one made out of a car/etc R/end and that thing is a monster.
Might wanna do a search and check it out.

Boone

/ Home made post hole digger #16  
If you throw an old manual gearbox between the dif and the prop shaft you can have 4 or 5 gear ratios plus reverse, which might make getting the auger unstuck from rocks & roots a lot easier ...

/ Home made post hole digger #17  
---my question is_----- should you feed the PTO power to the regular input shaft of the truck rear?? -OR--should it feed through an axel and have the auger attached to the yoke on the input shaft?????? I think that woudl gear it down slower......... I think.

If the gear ratio is 3:1, then 200 RPM at the drive shaft would turn the axle at about 67 RPM. If you drive the axle at 200RPM, the drive shaft will turn about 600 RPM.

Lots of post hole diggers have been made with rear ends. I used to see far more homemade ones than factory built.

Bruce

/ Home made post hole digger #18  
Bruce-- you are right, I am glad you said that. Thanks a lot. And the idea of an old 3 speed or something from an old pick up woudl be a good idea just to get reverse. Thanks for the info guys.