Home made trailer

/ Home made trailer #11  
Skyco,
If that sticker is correct, then I am wrong and stay corrected. However, with as much rain as we have had here lately, I would wonder what % of water the dirt has in it, as the wet dirt we have is definitely heavier than it was last year at this time, when it was dry.
David from jax

/ Home made trailer #12  
I know it is almost two months out, but if you are still looking try some trailer plans, i got the 7k plans and hope to build one this year, well worth the small price to have the steps, dimentions, and materials list layed out for you from the get go.

Now to find some old mobile home axles :D

/ Home made trailer #13  
napabavarian said:
I know it is almost two months out, but if you are still looking try some trailer plans, i got the 7k plans and hope to build one this year, well worth the small price to have the steps, dimentions, and materials list layed out for you from the get go.

Make sure those axles are legal where you live. Here in Texas the axles are legal but you have to have DOT rated tires. That used to be a problem since they are oddball size-14.5 . I found mine on ebay for $240 for set of 4 with shipping.

/ Home made trailer #14  
Interesting, my dad had one with a standard 5 lug pattern, but I have seen others, I'll check it out.

/ Home made trailer #15  
napabavarian said:

The prices for the 'kit' on there doesn't seem too bad... free shipping and gives you the axles, fenders etc. Have you priced out the steel for the 7k plans? I'd like to have dump trailer but a 7k runs about $4600 around here. Wondering how much you would really save by doing it yourself.

Charles

/ Home made trailer #16  
I havn't priced steel, but I've been told that it runs $1.00-1.20/pound here, the listed weight of the trailer is 1800#, figure even at $2000 (running gear at 300-500#, but you'll have scrap steel that you paid for left over at the end) for the steel and $500 for the cylinder and hydraulic pump you have no more than $3500 into it, probably more like $3000.

That is a difference of not less than $1000, so unless it is a buisness tax writeoff you would need to earn $1600 and pay the goverment $600 :rolleyes: to make up the difference, if it was $1600-2000+ because of lower steel prices you do even better.

Try this place for hydraulics. The plans call for a pump with a 3 gallon tank, but the cylinder displaces 6 quarts, so anything over 2 gallons should do.