Home Made Two Wheel Tractor - fun with an angle grinder and welder

/ Home Made Two Wheel Tractor - fun with an angle grinder and welder #1  

agbagb

Tractor
home made
Hi Guys,

Following Steves suggestion,

Andy,

Great blog and video!! I admire your creativity and resourcefulness.

Your work deserves more attention than it is likely to receive under this thread in the "New Member Introductions" section. I suggest that you start a new thread over in the "Projects" section. Use a title that will give members an idea of what you have been up to.

Again, welcome to TBN. I look forward to reading (and watching) more from you.

Steve

Here's what I've knocked up for my woods.

DSC_2329.jpg

I've covered the making the tractor on my blog. There's video of it's first test on this page.

I've sorted a few bits since then with the engine it now chugs along on tickover now.

Next test is up at woods this weekend. What's it like uphill with a load? Whats the traction like on wet grass?. How does it handle with wider bars?

In the mean time any questions, just ask

Cheers
Andy

/ Home Made Two Wheel Tractor - fun with an angle grinder and welder #2  
Andy,

What are "wood treads"?

Steve

/ Home Made Two Wheel Tractor - fun with an angle grinder and welder #3  
Great job, :thumbsup::thumbsup:that machine is beautiful mechanically. Some paint and it would look good to. I like your idea of using a motorcycle engine and such as parts because tipping it would not be as much a problem as with a regular 4cycle engine. Is that engine a 2cycle?
If you had put a differential in it I'm sure it would steer much easier.

/ Home Made Two Wheel Tractor - fun with an angle grinder and welder
Steve,
I was going to fix wood blocks to the wheel rims to give extra traction (like they have steam traction engines). How I'm thinking low tyre pressure and if needed wraping chain around the tyres like snow chains.

So the wood treads idea is out the window now.

Andy

/ Home Made Two Wheel Tractor - fun with an angle grinder and welder
Thanks Tucker,
It is 4 cycle, or as we say "4 stroke". The oil level stays good at all normal angles as does the float level in carb.
I had looked at puting a diff. in from a small car and mounting the engine the other way round to go via the chain to the prop shaft input. But it was getting a bit sophisticated for a quick build especially if I had to build in a lock for the diff.
So yes it would be easier to steer, the slightly bigger bars will help, it's a compromise for simplicity, traction and the parts I had to hand.
Some paint going on tonight as a purley perservative measure.

Andy