HOME SECURITY

/ HOME SECURITY
motepoc, can you try giving a link again that one dosen't work.
Thanks

/ HOME SECURITY #12  
RonMar said:
Can you safely/legally shoot where you are(one of the reasons I chose my property)? One round downrange(not specifically at him) would have probably kept him from getting away with anything in the first place...

Probably not unless you feel there is a bodily harm threat. I'd personally not shoot anyone for stealing stuff outta my building. But if I saw him out there and had the pistol in hand I'd definately go out there and inquire to his bidness in my building. But if I catch someone in the house, I won't hesitate because I will definately feel threatened.

That said, one time some dude was stealing my almost worthless gas grill off my back porch. I caught him in the act and went after him but he escaped. When I thought about it, what I did was rather stupid. He prolly didn't have that much to lose and if he had a gun/knife and I would have got him, he'd prolly have done some damage. Way more damage than that grill, or any of my possessions are worth.

So, I'm glad they got him and glad nobody got hurt in the process. It's prolly smarter to let the police do their job...although hard to not let the macho/pride thing take control:mad: Anyways Motepot, good call on keeping a level head through that situation :D

/ HOME SECURITY #13  
and how many burglers come in the front door? how many take the time to walk up to the front door before they break in!

ummmm oh ya NONE!

/ HOME SECURITY #14  
Sorry about the web site mistake. Did a cut and paste and it didn't put it in the same way as you need to. The web site is:
The Item - South Carolina

Was also glad I kept a cool head, do not think I would like to kill someone, but if I thought My family was at risk, I've no doubt that I could pull the trigger.

/ HOME SECURITY #15  
I guess I didn't word that very well(although I did say "not specifically at him"). I didn't mean shoot HIM, I meant put a round or two down range safely. I live in the county on a hillside property with an excellent backstop(my pistol range starts about 10' out my back door) and it is legal to discharge firearms on my private property. I pretty much have all my neighbors trained now. Gunfire occasionally during the day = OK, just practicing and enjoying one of my chosen hobbies. Gunfire after dark = something is going on that perhaps they should be aware of.

I think the burgular in the shed would find it kind of difficult to concentrate on toteing away your possesions with unexpected nearby gunfire and the whine of lead in the air.

/ HOME SECURITY #16  
RonMar said:
I guess I didn't word that very well(although I did say "not specifically at him"). I didn't mean shoot HIM, I meant put a round or two down range safely. I live in the county on a hillside property with an excellent backstop(my pistol range starts about 10' out my back door) and it is legal to discharge firearms on my private property. I pretty much have all my neighbors trained now. Gunfire occasionally during the day = OK, just practicing and enjoying one of my chosen hobbies. Gunfire after dark = something is going on that perhaps they should be aware of.

I think the burgular in the shed would find it kind of difficult to concentrate on toteing away your possesions with unexpected nearby gunfire and the whine of lead in the air.

Well, night time target practice sounds good to me...

(do check the legalities of protecting your outside belongings though. Even with a warning shot, you might hurt the perp's feelings and he could try to sue...)

/ HOME SECURITY #17  
I don't call 911 anymore.

I call Miss Dig.

/ HOME SECURITY #18  
schmism said:
and how many burglers come in the front door? how many take the time to walk up to the front door before they break in!

ummmm oh ya NONE!

At least two that I know of. The ones that broke into my last house about 10 years ago. There had to have been at least two since one got trapped in the unfinished part of the basement when the dogs came in through the dog door. Had to be a second one to get the dogs to go back outside so the person that was trapped could make their escape.

Good thing was, that nothing was stolen. Although it did cost me $20 to replace the hollow core door in the basement. The dogs ate the bottom 6 inches of the door trying to get at the person on the other side.

/ HOME SECURITY #19  
RoyJackson said:
... you might hurt the perp's feelings and he could try to sue...)

Ain't that the truth. He would probaly win in many situations:mad:

/ HOME SECURITY #20  
I think you acted correctly. I'm not going to shoot someone over stealing stuff....stuff can be replaced.

Our primary security system (see attached) worked for us yesterday. Someone tried the classic scam, driving up and then one guy distracts you with questions or whatever while the second guy slips out of the truck, sneaks in a back door and robs you.

Only thing was when the second guy tried to get out of the truck he was confronted with our 140lb pyr and 160lb wolfhound. He wisely chose to get back inside the truck and called to his partner "Hey I think I know how to get where we're supposed to be lets go".

I chuckled as they drove off and called my neighbors to forewarn them.

Jack

Attachments

• 100_1033R.jpg
    100_1033R.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1040R.jpg
    100_1040R.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 107