Homelite saw

/ Homelite saw #11  
I've had a 14''Homelite saw for 30 years or so .
The engine and carb have never been touched.
It's been great.
The worst weed trimmer I ever owned was a Homelite.

/ Homelite saw #12  
<font color="blue"> I have a Homelite saw originally 14” bar. It never oiled the bar and chain well enough causing both to overheat and wear prematurely. Thought it might be just mine but a neighbor bought one a few years after I bought mine and his brand new didn’t oil the chain at all. </font> I've never had this problem with mine in 30 years.
Funny how things go isn't it?

/ Homelite saw #13  
<font color="green"> Lastly, Home Depot stopped carrying the replacement chains??? </font>
============
<font color="purple"> I stopped using Homelite chains and went with Oregon chains. </font>Just because Home Depot stopped carrying the replacement chains doesn't mean that everyone else did ! ! !

/ Homelite saw #14  
Heard from our Briggs distributor who is also our source for Homelite that they are returning their stock of parts and not to bother ordering any in the future. Homelite is dead.

same here, we order from magneto power which is a briggs central and they quit stocking homelite parts last summer. We have alot of older Homelite units in this area.

I saw this posted on one of the message boards that I frequent. <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>

/ Homelite saw #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Heard from our Briggs distributor who is also our source for Homelite that they are returning their stock of parts and not to bother ordering any in the future. Homelite is dead.)</font>

<font color="green">John Deere</font> used to own Homelite, but according to <font color="green">this</font> article, they sold it in 2001.

Anyone have any idea who bought it?

/ Homelite saw #16  
I had a Homelite that also would not oil the chain. It took it in for repairs, they kept it for a year, and it still did not oil the chain. I bought a Stihl during that year and Isabel hit. It really save me and several friends.
I think Homelite has lost it.

Bob Rip

/ Homelite saw #17  
According to a trade journal, Homelite was acquired in late 2004 by Techtronic Industries in Hong Kong. Looks like they also own the Milwaukee and Ryobi brands. I've known people who have had good luck with Homelites, but I haven't seen one I liked. My only Homelite went in the garbage can about 15 years ago after much frustration with bar oiling, chain seizure, and just poor running. Bought a Husky that afternoon and a Stihl since then. No comparison. Willkie.com ('bout 1/3 way down)

/ Homelite saw #18  
The old Homelites were a good saw. Like all the other American manufacturers, they went foreign. I have an XL-12 of my dad's and it runs good. Bought a new one two years ago and could not keep it running. My temper got the best of me in a tall tree. Does anyone need a Homelite with a broken handle and gas tank?

/ Homelite saw #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've never had this problem with mine in 30 years. )</font>

The Homelites of today (at least 15 years or so) are not the same as they were back then. My dad had one probably from the early 60’s (maybe even 50’s???) it was a big engine with compression release, and heavy. I believe the oiler on that was manual, as some commercial units are. Those old saws are what America USED to be. So many products have gone that way.....go have a look at Black & Decker cordless drills (just one name of hundreds of OEM’s)....sad. I have some old Black & Decker stuff that has lasted for decades, the new stuff....I could go on, but that’s a new thread. One walk through Home Depot and someone like myself who grew up around old multi-generation builders want to get sick seeing the throw away products. Some are good, no doubt....but years past a company built its name through years of quality, and today those names are exploited for a quick commercial buck. Placing old respected names on products where the manufacturer has no expertise is pathetic IMO.

BTW....I’ve had the Poulan and Homelite apart many times. The oiler on the Homelite is designed completely different than my Poulan (and many others) mechanically driven system. The Homelite system on the small saws has absolutely not worked in my experience. In this world of computer generated design, there is no excuse for any product that does not work.

Perhaps when I get the time I’ll start a new thread dealing with this if it doesn’t already exist....that is....”throw away products that don’t work but are using the previous good name of generations of quality to sell junk.”

Edited:
Just thought of something that made me smile. Years ago as a child and working around the construction site (ok playing in the dirt piles) I can remember the grandfather of my dad’s friend refused to use a power saw or even a manual hand saw. He used a hatchet to cut 2x4’s and used the other side to hammer with.

/ Homelite saw #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ....”throw away products that don’t work but are using the previous good name of generations of quality to sell junk.” )</font>

Don't forget to look at my post in the McCulloch Saw thread. We think just alike.