homemade cultipackers

/ homemade cultipackers #12  
ToadHill said:
Wow!! I guess I really got a deal several years ago. I went to an auction and they had a 10' cultipacker with 2 broken wheels. I started the bidding at $10 and no one else bid. Took it home, finished breaking off the 2 bad wheels and slid the rest down then put a muffler clamp on the shaft to keep them in place and I've been using it for years.

If I knew how much they sell for now I'd have continued to pick them up at auctions and kept them for investment income.
LOL, you could get rich down here doing that! That's the problem here, when we do find them for sale at auction or ebay they're always up north and the shipping cost is high on them. Sweet tractor had one I really wanted but it would have been the same as a new one cost with shipping. Food plotting has gotten very popular over the years and a lot of what we plant are the small seeds, a cultipacker is almost required equipment now. UGA has developed a breed of alfalfa for the south I've read that some folks are having success with. The larger clubs and farms are using no-till drills for that but thats out of my budget

/ homemade cultipackers #13  
There was a local dealer that got 2 shipments a year of about a dozen old cultipackers. He would sell out in one month to the hunt clubs for food plots. I was going to buy one from the next shipment but the guy just died a bit ago. His supplier bought them at auctions in, I believe, KY and TN.

/ homemade cultipackers #14  
What is the purpose of a cultipacker on food plots? How is it better than disking, then spreading seed and then running a harrow over that?

/ homemade cultipackers #15  
N80 said:
What is the purpose of a cultipacker on food plots? How is it better than disking, then spreading seed and then running a harrow over that?
N on plots where, say, clovers planted or other very small seed crops , the cultipacker presses the seed into the soil instead of covering them. With the small seed, covering them too deep is worse than just spreading them. On larger seed and grains your better off with a drag than a cultipacker

/ homemade cultipackers #16  
Thanks.

/ homemade cultipackers #17  
George:

You took the question right out of my mouth!

/ homemade cultipackers #18  
michellesc7 said:
i don't understand the foam discussion on the QDMA Site and i am concerned about pulling a lumpy log with that one - i do like its other design features. don't know about the wooded endcaps.
maybe a hybrid between the LSU model and the QDMA model - i like the cinders with the concrete fill. i have wood stove ashes and burnpile ashes - i think that is what they mean by cinders. also a couple of fittlings on the LSU design i'll have to research. it looks like you can back the LSU model. the QDMA model looks like you can pull it only. that is why i like the 3 point hitch ones. you have to consider surrounding trees and turning radius. i need to be able to back and pull. my applications are in the woods.

i probably need a 4 wheeler to do work.
but i have too many tractors.

regards,
michelle

The cinder in the LSU design means crushed concrete or cinder blocks - not wood ashes. It's for weight so I would just fill it with sand.

/ homemade cultipackers #20  
There was a local dealer that got 2 shipments a year of about a dozen old cultipackers. He would sell out in one month to the hunt clubs for food plots. I was going to buy one from the next shipment but the guy just died a bit ago. His supplier bought them at auctions in, I believe, KY and TN.

We try to stock 40-50 used/reworked cultipackers from 3 ft to 12 ft about all year round. If anyone needs anything, give us a Toll Free call and we will email pictures of current inventory and with your zip code we will figure shipping? Ken Sweet