Homemade FEL Bucket Forks-Show Us Yours

/ Homemade FEL Bucket Forks-Show Us Yours #21  
FWIW, explain how you know that a rolled thread is as good as a machined thread in a clamp? No, I'm not looking for a web argument at all!
I was simply passing along a statement made by a seller who seemed to know his product line pretty well. i will add that i'll never pay his $400 price point for a bucket clamped fork no matter what threads they might have. The Titan QA's @ $279 are a better choice for my FEL. For contrast, when I called Titan I got a friendly young guy who knew zero when asked any question.
Moving on... I'm currently looking for a product thats not overkill for my FEL yet is QA w/o buying up above $400 to the next level of QA forks. I may have to fab something to suit my tightwad self. I'm gonna find out where the nearest forklift graveyard might be located before I buy anything.

Rolled threads are typically regarded to as being stronger. Cause they are cold formed which does increase surface hardness a little bit, and you are screwing with the grain structure of the steel as much vs cutting/tearing metal away with cut threads.

But that really isnt relevant. Clamping force simply has to do with how much torque you apply to the clamp. Think like a c-clamp....the tighter you tighten it, the more clamping force. Which has ALOT more to do with thread pitch than anything. A fine thread bolt has greater clamping force at equal torque (or same clamping force at less torque).

then comes into play things like weather the threads are lubricated, and with what.

No matter the above, at some point you will ultimatly reach a failure point where the bolt just breaks or strips. Rolled threads are less likely to strip than cut threads for the reasons I mention above.

But there are also factors such as what the bolt material is.

But yet again, all this is not relevant, because its a large bolt with a little hand handle. Not like you are torquing them to 400+ft-lbs. So their argument that "their" cut threads have greater clamping force than competitors rolled threads......just a line of BS they are feeding you to make their product sound better, as i said earlier

/ Homemade FEL Bucket Forks-Show Us Yours
OK, we'll go with that explanation unless acme threads figure into the discussion? Either way I'm not going with bucket clamped forks...

/ Homemade FEL Bucket Forks-Show Us Yours #23  
I welded these up for simple project lifting, pallets and logs, they slip on over whichever tooth I chose for width needed, not for extreme stuff, but my small tractor max's out at maybe 500 lbs , but works for what I need

DSCN0896.JPGDSCN0895.jpg

/ Homemade FEL Bucket Forks-Show Us Yours
wawajake, I wish i was fishing near you right now but this Dos Equis is OK for now...

That's a nice tight design you welded up for your purpose. I have no doubt those will handle beyond your FEL limit.
What has turned me away from a bucket fork is simply that i want to maximize my FEL's lifting ability by using a QA fork setup that takes position of the bucket thus weights closer to the machine. Kioti loader I have is 1,400 @ max height and given many logs are oak thats easily reached down low where I load onto my mill.

/ Homemade FEL Bucket Forks-Show Us Yours #25  
I bought one of those plates that attach to my JD front end loader in place of the bucket. I made some high-lift forks in order to move my deer stands. Gotta be careful when doing this....as you definitely have a high load center....and it would be easy to tip if your not careful. I moved five box blinds this year....and not incidents....except I bent one of the tubes (forks) on my last move. (I did not use the 2x4 supports....and that put a bit much stress on the the tubes) A little 'tweak" and they will be good to go again. ;)

This set-up has proven to be the real deal for moving blinds....but you gotta be carfull and use some common sense. ;)

IMG_1651.jpgIMG_2711.JPG

/ Homemade FEL Bucket Forks-Show Us Yours #26  
Hey. I made up a set of forks using 3" channel and I clamp them with 5/8th bolts with a "T" welded for clamping them on tight.
Works for me.
But then I mainly use them to collect piles of branches and other scraps etc.
I'd rate mine at 1000 max, (if that), but they serve me just fine.
If they fail I'll add more welds. LOL.
Also it was a fun project! LOL.
Cost was NIL!
Satisfaction was great!
Weld practice not measurable.