Grading Homemade grader for GC series tractors

/ Homemade grader for GC series tractors #14  
That looks like a dedicated setup and not just an attachment and is probably owned by a concrete pouring or driveway company.

/ Homemade grader for GC series tractors #15  
There's a bunch of them out there. Sure seems it would be easier on your neck than a back blade, and there's be a lot less movement vertically sitting under the center of the machine VS several feet off the back of the tractor, making it much less likely to dig "waves" as it common with a rear blade as the tractor goes up and down.

/ Homemade grader for GC series tractors #16  
But I’m not seeing it as a very practical solution unless it’s part of you job. I could be done with most projects before you get a grader attachment hooked up. That’s beside the point that a nice one like the one on the Kubota is a lot of money. One of the local paving companies has a mini grader but it’s a “real” mini grader with a long wheel base.

/ Homemade grader for GC series tractors #18  
On my grader (though it is a tow behind) I have found that on the first pass it is misleading because sometimes I am cutting 8 inches, and then I have my blade six inches off the ground. BUT on the second pass, because the humps are cut out, I set my depth to just kiss the ground and my road ends up super smooth. Two passes and that is it! I never got that with my 3 point hitch grader blade. But I have a half mile of heavy-haul logging road to maintain too.

Attachments

• DSCN5127.JPG
    DSCN5127.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 104
  • DSCN5126.JPG
    DSCN5126.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 83
   / Homemade grader for GC series tractors #19  
The biggest reason is, being attached in a cantilevered way, when the tractor goes into a dip,the grader blade digs even deeper behind, but when the tractor goes over a hummock, the grader blade rises from the ground. With a lot of skill , many passes and a lot of use of the 3 point hitch lever it can be graded out, but its not great even then,.

That is certainly true if the rear implement is unable to move for one reason or another in one way or another (for example, it's elevated or reaches end of travel of the 3-pt) but if it's floating you shouldn't have that problem. For smoothing, I almost always operate my box blade in float so it's down on the ground no matter what the tractor is doing. I would have to encounter bumps/dips of +/- 12-16" (give or take) before the float travel of the 3-pt runs out and the box is affected by the tractor axles.

Occasionally I will do certain types of grading with the box raised a bit, and then you're 100% right, bumps and dips that make the axles rise or fall will cause a corresponding effect with the box and result in more bumps and dips. Keep doing that and you'll make a nice washboard!

/ Homemade grader for GC series tractors #20  
Saw a quick youtube video on a GC1705 titled home made niveleuse grader. Cant post link now as Im at work and they don't allow youtube access. Man this is sweet....whoever built it is a professional for sure. Anyone on here know this person? Perfect for grading roads but I wonder if there is a spring that gives way to the blade if you hit something?
I really like the idea. I have been searching all over the net to see how he did it.