Homemade Single stage Snowblower

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #51  
That is an awesome build. I wonder if a flighting similar to a grain auger would work. I bet you could put a flat bar across the "mouth" of the blower for a bearing support and tree/post gaurd and it would feed the fan all the snow it could handle.
There are many of the large single fan blowers in use in our are clearing oilwell leases. They were built heavy enough to use as a "blade" to push clear areas with debris and stand up to the occasional whoops of something going through it without busting it up to bad. I saw one in use today that was on a 7240 CaseIH FWA which is 195 HP!!
I will try to get a pic of the fan design on one of the large Schulte blowers.
Here is a pic of an older model. Note the simple chute system to switch sides for the discharge.
http://http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=98403435&img=http%3A%2F%2Fimg1.classistatic.com%2Fcps%2Fl%2Fkj%2F09%2F1%2F17%2F300%2Fr5%2F78526ja_18.jpeg

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower
Page 4 of this spread shows the arrangement I have for feeding the blower. I get very little snow coming over the top (2ft high). Unlike a conventional Auger which spins very slowly, this setup spins at PTO speed so would require a full cover if the auger was extended to the front. All doable but I am very happy with its performance now and its great that I don't have to spend 2.5 hours hauling in my camping gear. I have gone from a 2 times in the winter visit, to every three weeks now.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #53  
Nice fix Dave. You can see the added feeder doing its job in the latest video...way to git 'er done.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower
Sadly, as some of you pointed out, this design does not work in wet snow. Had a chance to try it out this past weekend with 8 inches of wet snow and I would just push the snow until the tractor could not push anymore. Anyway the good news is that with this blower I was able to drive into the camp all winter on account as it is usually very cold and the snow powdery!

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #55  
Dave -- don't feel too bad -- the best thing in wet snow is a plow or letting it melt while in the comfort of indoors:eek:
My blower will throw it just beyond the edge of the blower but not much further

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #56  
For sure, wet snow = lots of sheered pins and clogged shutes.

Always select neutral on PTO or shut down tractor B4 clearing clogged snow!

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #57  
I have purchased an older Erskine 60" Rear pull single stage.
Snow season just ahead here in IDAHO and was reading all the threads. Dave, you did an awesome job on your unit. I just completed a pretty long PM to foggy1111. His picture of the unit his dad built was particularly interesting and I asked him about the 'egg beater' pictured. Since I have not used my unit yet, was wondering if that add-on might help. It looks as
though the unit I bought will work great in powdery snow and clogg if it's too wet.
Snowball44

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #58  
As soon as I can fix my printer/scanner I will post a picture of another possible solution to snow "pushing" on these type of blowers. As stated earlier....the major problem with these blowers is getting the wet snow to feed into the blower as it tends to bridge in front and push (thus why you typically find augers in front of the blowers today).

One solution to aid in snow pushing was to add "knives" which were welded to the heavy-duty rotors....as found on the machines produced back in the 50's (I think the rotors on my dad's machines were from about 1/4" to possibly 3/8" (?) thick material. These "knives" were about a foot long and 2' wide (likely 3/8" thick) and were attached by about a 4" weld with the 8" balance protruding in front of the spinning rotor. They did break up clods pretty well. This may be a low cost aid / solution for those with these blower types. :confused:

I believe I would give it a shot.

Sorry for the poor description....I will try to post a pic very soon.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #59  
Hi
I would like to know the diameter of the hole where the snow goes into the propeller. And if you are able to post some more pictures of the snow thrower from slightly different views.

I will try to building a snow blower to my little Jinma tractor. I'll try to post some pictures of my project and hoping for tips during the project.

Best Reards
Slugg