homemade tiller ideas

/ homemade tiller ideas #1  

bobcat fan

hi guys i need a tiller but they are few and far between were i live. so im thinking of building one i have a small ride on mower gearbox. the axle from the the mower. and a 2 hp horizontal shaft Briggs. i was thinking of use the axle as the tiller shaft and make the tynes out of mild steel bar and weld them to the axle with would be chain driven from the gearbox.

/ homemade tiller ideas #2  
That would probably work for an 8 or 10 inch tiller shaft, provided your rpms are about right. What is you soil like and how deep do you want to till? Axle diameter may limit span between your bearings.
-Jim

/ homemade tiller ideas #3  
Not sure where you are but in the midwest and NE there are lots of small tillers at auctions. Some are tractor-specific and go cheap.
Seems easier to adapt or cut one back than start from scratch. Just my two cents.

/ homemade tiller ideas #4  
I agree with Sixdogs, while it is possible to fabricate one from scratch, finding a used one will be much easier.

/ homemade tiller ideas #5  
For a very few, the joy is in the creative process of building something of utility out of something unused, rather than finding the most efficient use of time or money.

Some of us make, some of us manage; both are of value.

Add value - follow your joy.

-Jim

/ homemade tiller ideas #6  
For a very few, the joy is in the creative process of building something of utility out of something unused, rather than finding the most efficient use of time or money.

Some of us make, some of us manage; both are of value.

Add value - follow your joy.

-Jim

Yeah, you're right. That's why I build things.
Let me add that the effort to adapt one tiller from another intended mounting or purpose will likely be close to the same effort but will shorten the learning curve of an unintented design error.

/ homemade tiller ideas
hi guys im in Australia i was thinking of making the tiller 1-2 ft wide the soil in my area is all sand but i want it to be able to till in a hard clay soil put i can break the clay using a ripper first .

/ homemade tiller ideas #8  
hi guys i need a tiller but they are few and far between were i live. so im thinking of building one i have a small ride on mower gearbox. the axle from the the mower. and a 2 hp horizontal shaft Briggs. i was thinking of use the axle as the tiller shaft and make the tynes out of mild steel bar and weld them to the axle with would be chain driven from the gearbox.

I would consider using a 'pipe' type setup to go over the axle, weld the tines to the pipe, and drill a hole thru the axle and pipe so you can install shear bolts.