Honda 4518 riding mower engine dies while PTO engaging in.

/ Honda 4518 riding mower engine dies while PTO engaging in. #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
I just got this mower from local CR for a hot summer project and paid only $100

It runs very well and works well except the engine dies while PTO engaging in.
I suspect that the PTO switch is bad in the last picture.

Also, the prior owner replaced the parking brake cable about 1 year ago but not working properly

I have very much experience with other riding mowers but this honda.

It is the first time in my life.

Any members here have any suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance ..

Jkk
20230716_120057.jpg

20230716_120040.jpg

20230716_120138.jpg

Last edited:
   / Honda 4518 riding mower engine dies while PTO engaging in. #2  
Sell it for parts?
I have that same mower and out of Any of the riders over the years it has been without a doubt the Worst and By a margin.

Maybe You can figure out the PTO clutch but i never did I tried adjusting it many different ways and no matter what it would try to kill the engine because the PTO brake surface was still engaged while trying to engage the PTO clutch Literally smokes burning linings and the only way to get it to keep running was slamming it in at full throttle.
Lets see what else is a problem charging coil went out Cha ching
. Both coils cracked and were arcing externally from the cases $300
Ignition module failed $220. Twice

Worst of All the blasted hydrostat Sucks.

It never has run smoothly it is like being on a slow bronco. forward backward surging the only cure to tear down the Hydro and replace parts which has only been partially successful in most cases.

The actual Honda inline twin liquid cooled engine is a Fine engine. It is just everything else.

the Mower deck itself was OK as well. Good Luck mine sits with a tarp over it for parts because it was an expensive mower even used. The Co Op (MTD) Hydro Gilson and JD X500 have all been really Good riders.

I wish you Luck

/ Honda 4518 riding mower engine dies while PTO engaging in.
Sell it for parts?
I have that same mower and out of Any of the riders over the years it has been without a doubt the Worst and By a margin.

Maybe You can figure out the PTO clutch but i never did I tried adjusting it many different ways and no matter what it would try to kill the engine because the PTO brake surface was still engaged while trying to engage the PTO clutch Literally smokes burning linings and the only way to get it to keep running was slamming it in at full throttle.
Lets see what else is a problem charging coil went out Cha ching
. Both coils cracked and were arcing externally from the cases $300
Ignition module failed $220. Twice

Worst of All the blasted hydrostat Sucks.

It never has run smoothly it is like being on a slow bronco. forward backward surging the only cure to tear down the Hydro and replace parts which has only been partially successful in most cases.

The actual Honda inline twin liquid cooled engine is a Fine engine. It is just everything else.

the Mower deck itself was OK as well. Good Luck mine sits with a tarp over it for parts because it was an expensive mower even used. The Co Op (MTD) Hydro Gilson and JD X500 have all been really Good riders.

I wish you Luck
Discover the problem that one of the spendles is locked due to the bearing worn out.

Also, one of the tensioner's bearings is totally shot.

Without the deck, the engine wouldn't stop while engaging the PTO.

Time to find out the upper and lower bearing.

Thanks for commenting.
Jkk
spindle.jpg

spindle 1.jpg

tensioner.jpg

/ Honda 4518 riding mower engine dies while PTO engaging in. #4  
Ha Ha

Yeah It is not a deck spindle problem

Even with the 90 degree PTO Belt removed the problem persisted.

Again The brake surface on the PTO clutch stays engaged while trying to spin up the PTO...
That is Without a belt going to the deck being installed.

My 4518 can sit.

Glad you have a working 4518h.

I am set with the JD X500

ps. Sorry for the rant, but that particular mower caused me a lot of headaches and a sore back because even when it did mow the hydro units inability to move the mower at a consistent stable speed absolutely ruined the mowing experience.

I Hope your 4518 hydro does work correctly and it provides years of trouble free service. I have owned Many Honda Accords a few Civics and motorcycles over the years. Not a Honda hater but the 4518 got my goat.

Last edited:
   / Honda 4518 riding mower engine dies while PTO engaging in.
Ha Ha

Yeah It is not a deck spindle problem

Even with the 90 degree PTO Belt removed the problem persisted.

Again The brake surface on the PTO clutch stays engaged while trying to spin up the PTO...
That is Without a belt going to the deck being installed.

My 4518 can sit.

Glad you have a working 4518h.

I am set with the JD X500

ps. Sorry for the rant, but that particular mower caused me a lot of headaches and a sore back because even when it did mow the hydro units inability to move the mower at a consistent stable speed absolutely ruined the mowing experience.

I Hope your 4518 hydro does work correctly and it provides years of trouble free service. I have owned Many Honda Accords a few Civics and motorcycles over the years. Not a Honda hater but the 4518 got my goat.
Works good after replaced the spindle idlers bearings ..

/ Honda 4518 riding mower engine dies while PTO engaging in. #6  
Works good after replaced the spindle idlers bearings ..

I am sure yours does .....

I was never trying to say that the spindles were not the failure cause on the mower you bought.

I AM saying that is Not the root cause of my 4518 PTO clutch problem.

As I said Even with the PTO 90 degree drive belt completely removed...
Mine would still Smoke the clutch trying to disengage the brake material surface which is on the circumference of the engines clutch housing perimeter while trying to simultaneously engage the PTO.

Good Luck on your new 4518.

Now you can mow.
Good, and hope my Biggest complaint that made the 4518 Honda mower one I never liked to use (the forward/ backward bucking motion produced by the flawed hydrostatic unit) Is not a problem yours has.

A Problem neither the Peerless/ Eaton / Tecumseh Hydro or Kanzaki K72B Hydro units suffer from even with very high hours and decades of service.

By the way here is a parts diagram of the 4518H PTO Drive Clutch BRAKE assembly breakdown

Notice the brake lining (75130758801) and associated parts many of which are NLA and Expensive.
This is the area where my mowers PTO drive Root cause is located. Maybe I should advertise this as a parts mower It is really at that point now.

Last edited: