Honda or Kohler engine ???

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #12  
Because Honda, Yamaha and Kowasaki are all in the ATV and motorcycle business they would be my first choices. (dealers everywhere)

Robin/Suburu have changed ownership so often that service is not all easy to come by.

Tecumseh no longer exists.

Many Chinese no name are true clones of Honda with parts interchangeability.

I strongly believe Briggs may join Tecumseh. (you'll notice more and more snow blowers and lawn mowers sporting Chinese no name)

Obviously you haven't dealt with the Honda CRF 250 engines. Junk. Intake valves constantly need attention. Had a KTM 520 for 10 years and have adjusted the valves a grand total of once. They barely needed it then.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #13  
You will see Honda GC/GS "black" motors mostly on other manufacturers stuff and the GX "red" Honda motors mostly on Honda equipment and some other manufacturers top of the line units. The "GX" is a better built and more expensive motor than the GC/GS. Kohler and Briggs do the same thing, offering at least 2 lines, one is the "economy" engine with a roughly 500 hour design life, the other is designed to last roughly 1000 hours. Now if the motor is attached to a $129 push mower, the wheels will fall off before you hit 500 hours, but on a $750 self propelled mower? Might want the better engine.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #14  
Honda newer off-road motorcycle engines are a different beast. Trying to make a 4-stroke have the power and weight of a two-stroke caused some issues. I have fought started several. I still have a 1984 XR200R with RFVC that starts on 2 kicks (must drain carb) and runs like new.

I did not realize Tecumseh is gone. I steered clear of their stuff anyway. As for the Honda engines I use the cheapest Honda engines on my pressure washer, push mower, tiller, small generator and any other item that gets used only a few hours a year. The cheap Honda GC engines will easily last over 500 hours and at 10 to 15 hours a year that is way too long... :)

Even the cheap Honda GC sounds great. I replaced a 6hp Briggs on a tiller with a Honda GC and the sound is so much better. It also now starts perfect everytime. My preference is the Honda GX motor but I really do not have any small motor items that I use many hours.

I always wondered about the chinese engines. I recently purchased a spare generator and choose a Briggs over Generac just because the Generac engine rattled like a chinese lawnmower. Anything I buy with an engine needs to have the name of a known to me engine maker on it.

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #15  
You will see Honda GC/GS "black" motors mostly on other manufacturers stuff and the GX "red" Honda motors mostly on Honda equipment and some other manufacturers top of the line units. The "GX" is a better built and more expensive motor than the GC/GS. Kohler and Briggs do the same thing, offering at least 2 lines, one is the "economy" engine with a roughly 500 hour design life, the other is designed to last roughly 1000 hours. Now if the motor is attached to a $129 push mower, the wheels will fall off before you hit 500 hours, but on a $750 self propelled mower? Might want the better engine.

On my Honda EU6500i generator I expect to get 4000 hrs out of it, it already has 1100 hrs in its first year and hasn't missed a beat. I had a EU3000i that I put at least that many hours on it for sure. Unfortunately, it didn't have an hour meter so I can't be 100% sure. My conservative estimate for hours was 4000 when it quit, my loose estimate was 6000. When I called the dealer, after it quit, and asked what he thought I should have gotten out of it, he said 1000. I have a lot of faith in Honda. I could have spent a lot less than $3500 for a 6500 watt generator, but I'm sure it would have needed to be replaced at least once already.

Brian

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #16  

I wondered about this, but last year I bought a GX-200 series motor and it came in all Black!

/ Honda or Kohler engine ??? #19  
roamerr is correct in thinking that a 500 hour motor makes perfect sense on a unit he might run 15-20 hours a year. The various manufacturers that make these "introductory level" basic motors, are not intentionally making crap. They make a motor for just this kind of application. Commercial use guys that might run a machine 6 to 8 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week have an obvious different need.

I have ZERO personal experience with the Chinese Honda clones. I've heard good and bad, but the consensus seems to be to flush out the grit that tends to be in the crankcase with fresh oil, do the first oil change a hair early to remove the rest of the grit and run them happily after that.