Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions

/ Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions #1  

1990F-150

Tractor
2023 LS MT240HE. JD S240. Honda Pioneer 520. Ford 8n. Ford 9n
Hi, I thought that I should give my initial impressions of my new Honda Pioneer 520. I bought this machine to replace my aging 2011 Polaris Ranger, which was starting to wear out. I did not need something fast, because I already have a 950 cc pure sport unit, but I wanted something that would have a lot of low-end torque to pull trailers and go up steep hills at the hunting lease.

So far, this thing has had plenty of torque to get up very steep hills and back my 1500-pound trailer into its spot. This unit is also small enough to fit in the back of a truck bed, so no trailer is needed to go out to the lease. The four-wheel drive engages very smoothly, which is not something that the Polaris AWD system did very well. Where the Polaris was better though, is the smooth cvt transmission. This Honda automatic transmission is very jerky and it is not much smoother in manual. The transmission is supposed to smooth out after the break-in period, so hopefully that will smooth things out. The machine has a relatively smooth ride on trails on my property, and it seems to have plenty of power and traction for almost any trail that is not a mud hole or a rock-crawling obstacle. I already have a roof and bumper on the way, and some 26-inch tires to get over rocks.

Overall, I am enjoying this Honda so far, and I am going to put it to work next weekend putting 30 bags of corn in my deer feeders in the 103-degree Texas heat.
honda.jpg

Last edited:
   / Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions
Yep, I’m planning on doing a one year review on it when it’s been fully broken in.

/ Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions #4  
IMG_8127.jpeg

I’ve had my P520 for over a year now and it has been a rock solid, thoroughly enjoyable and an amazing machine! I recommend it now just as much as I did when it was new.

The transmission shifting does mellow out after the first service and some use. It’s certainly not a smooth shifting transmission but, I prefer it over any CVT. I love the size of the P520! As you mentioned, it fits in the bed of your pickup (no trailer required) and it is great for navigating narrow trails and tight places. The engine, with the help of the gearing, has plenty of low end torque.

I’ve installed a TON of upgrades on my P520 and it just keeps getting better!

Mike

/ Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions #5  
View attachment 818512
I’ve had my P520 for over a year now and it has been a rock solid, thoroughly enjoyable and an amazing machine! I recommend it now just as much as I did when it was new.

The transmission shifting does mellow out after the first service and some use. It’s certainly not a smooth shifting transmission but, I prefer it over any CVT. I love the size of the P520! As you mentioned, it fits in the bed of your pickup (no trailer required) and it is great for navigating narrow trails and tight places. The engine, with the help of the gearing, has plenty of low end torque.

I’ve installed a TON of upgrades on my P520 and it just keeps getting better!

Mike
Why do you love it over a cvt tranny?

/ Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions #6  
My Brother has a 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000 (with single bench seat). He loves it! In fact, his love for it prompted me to buy my 2021 Honda Talon 1000R Live Valve. I had that until about six months ago. Found out it was an amazing machine, but I could not see out of it, and couldn't carry anything in its tiny bed. We sold the Talon, and I just bought the 2023 Yamaha RMax2 LE. Taking it out this weekend for its first real off road ride.

The Pioneer will serve you well!
My Buggy.jpeg

/ Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions #7  
Why do you love it over a cvt tranny?

Personal preference. I prefer a mechanical geared transmission (especially one with a clutch like the P500/P520) over a belt/chain driven CVT transmission. Not saying the CVT is bad, its just a different design. I prefer manual transmissions to traditional automatic transmission too but, I own both.

/ Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions
Both transmission styles are good, but for pulling heavy trailers and daily use the Honda automatic transmission is better to me. I also have a CF Moto Zforce 950 high output that gets used once a month on tight trails, and to me the CVT transmission is better for tight trails where you need a very smooth transmission.

/ Honda Pioneer 520 Initial Impressions #10  
I went with the Honda P520 because I wanted reliable/predictable engine braking in our hills, especially when towing a heavy load. Most of the CVT transmission ATV/UTVs I've driven release when the engine slows leaving you with no engine braking. It's a little counter-intuitive to step on the gas when you want to go slow. I also spoke with some locals who do rural/back-country rescue who feel the same way. They greatly prefer the more predictable response when operating in the hills.

I'm not claiming the gear transmission is superior in all situations. It just fits my needs and personal preferences better. We have a CVT transmission in our Subaru Forester and love it: smooth, even power, better gas mileage than a similar traditional automatic transmission, and probably the best & smoothest cruise control in any of our vehicles.