Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running,

/ Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running, #1  

travlitt

Platinum Member
Tractor
8050C Branson, Branson 2400, 8N Ford, Round Fender John Deere 110, 3 60" ZTR mowers, a bunch of ride on mowers, 8' Brush hog , 15' Bat wing
Its a 6 hp engine. I have removed the carburetor and cleaned it 2 different times. It gets spark, fuel to the carb. I can start it by full choke And squirting gas into the carb. Stop squirting gas in to it and it will stop running. I removed that carb, install a new one, same problem. I then installed the second new carb., same problem. I am at loss as to what is the problem. Someone please help.

/ Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running, #2  
Its a 6 hp engine. I have removed the carburetor and cleaned it 2 different times. It gets spark, fuel to the carb. I can start it by full choke And squirting gas into the carb. Stop squirting gas in to it and it will stop running. I removed that carb, install a new one, same problem. I then installed the second new carb., same problem. I am at loss as to what is the problem. Someone please help.
Is there a fuel filter? Or screen in the bottom of the tank?

/ Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running, #3  
Specifics could be helpful. IE History, engine model, choke style, using Honda OEM carbs? Watch the gasket installation closely and know that you have a good flow of fuel to the carb. The main on the majority of these is in the stem of the carb. Removing the bowl will allow you to check for debris from the mower tank plus you can see if you have fuel flow through the float valve. If so, clean the main to ensure that it is clean. New or not.

/ Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running,

In my shop for this type of a problem, I use a stand along fuel tank and the fuel is delivered to the problem carb. through a separate fuel line that has its own filter system connected directly to the carb. The factory fuel delivery system is not in use at this point.

In my shop for this type of a problem, I use a stand along fuel tank and the fuel is delivered to the problem carb. through a separate fuel line that has its own filter system connected directly to the carb. The factory fuel delivery system is not in use at this point.

/ Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running, #6  
This may sounds crazy but have you tried replacing the spark plug. I have seen spark plugs do weird things on Honda engines. Some just like you are talking about. Engines that will only run with the choke on. Engines that will run about 5 minutes and then die like they ran out of fuel, drain the carb and it will run another 5 minutes. Honda ATV that will jump the .100 gap between the center electrode and the side of the plug, but not the normal .030 gap to the firing tab over the electrode.

/ Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running, #7  
Look at the air exchange circuit between crankcase and carburetor air intake. It's normally just a hose running from crankcase to air filter. If restricted (stopped up),pressure from crankcase during piston intake stroke can be forced past intake valve stem/seal disrupting incoming air-fuel flow,resulting in lean mixture.
Strange as it may sound,some carbs are so delicately tuned that air filter must be in place to ever so slightly have a "choke effect". And of course any less than clean filter would over choke making it flood.

Above all,there should be no :muttering: or:hissyfit: or:yell: ,and certainly non of this:banghead:while you are at it.

I found the engine has only 25 lbs of compression. Thus no vacuum to pull the fuel in from the carburetor.

/ Honda self propelled mowe will not stay running, #9  
Guessing as we still don't know what engine you have. If the machine basically sat and ran good previously before being parked, sticky valve stems are fairly common on GCV engines. This is due to gum deposits and very light valve return springs. Heat is used per Honda to loosen otherwise working in a cleaner then lube will get things moving again.