Hood gas spring

/ Hood gas spring #1  

slofr8

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Hi everyone. I have a 4035 with a bad hood gas spring. Part # E00753847201. My dealer isn't sure on availability or how long it would take to get one. I tried a 50 lb and a 100 lb and neither one was strong enough. I put a bathroom scale under it and got about a 90 lb reading. I'd have to order one but don't want to go too big. Any ideas on how strong it needs to be? Thanks.

/ Hood gas spring #2  
slofr8, I looked on Amazon and I see several rated between 100 - 200 lbs. You didn't mention the length you need but that's a factor you have to incorporate.

Just search under gas struts. I'm assuming that the strut you need is just the standard one.........Don

/ Hood gas spring
Thanks guys. I ended up trying a 120 lb and still not enough. I'll give Bill's tractor a call.

/ Hood gas spring #5  
Did you notice an incremental decline in the old part or did it fail quickly? Not familiar with Mahindra specifically, but is there any kind of counter weight or spring used that may have become detached? A flat 100 pound lift seems high.

/ Hood gas spring #6  
Good point Fxfymn413........... Does seem awful high. The old strut should have a weight stamped on it. If one the same or a little higher than the original doesn't work then there's something else in play here.

/ Hood gas spring #7  
They sell a lot of generic gas springs at Autozone and O’Reilleys. Maybe take some measurements and go there?

/ Hood gas spring
Did you notice an incremental decline in the old part or did it fail quickly? Not familiar with Mahindra specifically, but is there any kind of counter weight or spring used that may have become detached? A flat 100 pound lift seems high.
I hand to lift the hood a few times at about -30 F and it let go all of a sudden. No resistance. There's no load weight on the old one. just ordered one from Bills.

/ Hood gas spring #9  
Cold does affect those gas springs as does some oils.*
LOL, my car rear has a pair that has lost some pressure over time and I now bump my head when it's cold out.

*learned the hard way as I once sprayed a pair thinking it was preventative but next day I had to buy a new pair.

/ Hood gas spring #10  
slofr8, did you ever get the new strut and if so did it fix your issue?