Backhoe Hooking up backhoe, what a pita...

/ Hooking up backhoe, what a pita... #1  

trs

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 4220
I made the mistake of leaving backhoe attachment in the grass, after a week of rain, had a heck of a time getting tractor close enough to hook it up again, kept sinking in the mud... had to get a wrench to crack open hydraulic line on backhoe to relieve pressure so I could connect them back up to tractor as no matter how hard I pressed coupler it would not go... also when I wanted to put it in 2 wheel drive I tried moving forward a little then shift, would not move, put it in reverse that did the trick... standard for Branson or maybe because it only has 7 hours?? tractor weight was a little to much for muddy Georgia clay... so far no major problems.. still learning the little quirks...

/ Hooking up backhoe, what a pita... #2  
That shifting problem you describe is typical for that unit. Mine cleared up after about 20 or so hours.

have fun...you''ll have it down pat in no time.

consider yourself lucky we still have snow!
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Hooking up backhoe, what a pita... #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( also when I wanted to put it in 2 wheel drive I tried moving forward a little then shift )</font>

If I am reading this part right when you wanted to shift out of 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive it hung up and was hard to shift out. This is pretty standard on most 4wd tractors. Since all 4 tires do not always turn the same amount of rotations due to turning and other factors the system can bind up and have a lot of stress meshed in the gears. It has been discussed in a past thread and the general concensus was it was best to relieve the "tension" off of the front axle some way. The best way is to use the loader to lift the front tires off of the ground. This works great and the 4wd lever will slide right into 2wd now. You will even notice that when you lift the front end up the front tires will turn a little releasing the bound up "tension".

Hope this makes sence. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifIf not I am sure someone will explain it better.

/ Hooking up backhoe, what a pita... #4  
TRS.... the drive line windup is normal. I always just do what you did....put it in reverse and start moving backwards while while applying slight pressure to the 4wd shifter. When you've moved sufficiently , it will fall right into place. If you can't move backwards....then do as suggested...raise the front end off the ground using the FEL and then shift.

As for the backhoe.... when you are getting ready to remove from the tractor, and have gotten down to the final point of unhooking your hoses (tractor is shut off), make a habit if working your hydraulic levers to relieve the pressure. (assuming you are blocked up or flat on the ground and not held up by the pads). This will help you avoid the re-hookup pressure problem.

As for parking it.... I try to take mine off on a gravel area that is flat. If I have to take off in the dirt... I usually lay down an old piece of plywood....and try to do in flat, level place that is easily accessible , where you have room to manuever the tractor.

/ Hooking up backhoe, what a pita...
I learned my leason with the backhoe, it did not help that when I wanted to hook it back up I was in a hurry as I had to get back to Florida, next time I will leave it on a hard surface.. I did learn that you can use the backhoe controls to help get it on tractor if you are close enough to hook up lines.. I still have not given backhoe a real work out yet.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif now I need to get a trailer for tractor as car trailer is a tough thing to load every thing into without banging inside of trailer.. thinking about a 12000 -14000 lb 20f-25ft with either more expensive gooseneck or ball.. anyone got a good used one.. also while in Georgia my neighbor gave me a set of forks and bracket off of a HD fork truck.. now all I need to do is weld a bracket to fit my quick attach on loader.. wonder if I can just buy brackets from Branson with the hook at top and hole for pins in bottom.. probably cheaper to get some 1/4" flat stock and cut hooks out & drill holes then weld 2 togeather for each side would give a 1/2" thick bracket and would be easier to cut than 1/2" flat stock.. or maybe not??

/ Hooking up backhoe, what a pita... #6  
Regarding your forks...I know the dealers do sell the blanks for making up a new front implement.

Probably a couple bucks but worth it.

I work in a fabrication shop and I dont make anything I can buy...too darn busy!

enjoy..

/ Hooking up backhoe, what a pita... #7  
Hi trs, If you run your tire pressures as close to recommended your 4 by to 2 wheel problem should be reduced 90%. I too had the problem getting it out of 4 x 4 until I changed my tire pressures. Now it mostly disengages with a slight pressure on the shifter. Hope this helps.