HOOKING UP BUSHHOG

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
Usually, I have been fortunate to have one of my sons to hook up the RC. Last week, I was doing this myself and fould that an extra set of hands would have been nice. I couldn't seem to align the splines, retract the lock collar and push the coupler onto the PTO shaft simultaneously. After much frustration, I separated the telescoping cutter shafts and attached locking coupler to the tractor. I placed a length of 2" PVC across the lift arms to rest the shaft on and adjusted height until telescoping driveshafts were lined up, then backed up tractor and hooked up successfully. Any tricks out there for this scenario. Seemed to take much longer than expected!!

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #2  
Afternoon Flintlock,
Im still doing it the old fashion way like you ! :confused: But what I have found is that by keeping your pto shaft good and clean of gunk and the female coupler the same way makes for an easier hookup ! Also having the mower sitting nice and level makes for easier lower arm hookup also. The really smart guys out there, sp money in their pockets have bought the quick hitch adapters to speed things up also ! ;)

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #3  
I guess I have been lucky the brushhog is the easiest of the PTO attachments to hook up. the post hole digger on the other hand, causes a lot of bad words o be said.

Like scott vt, said hook up on level ground and it should be much easier. Also did you try to turn the PTO shaft? On mine I can turn the PTO shaft by hand fairly easy, so that I can line up the splines. I have never had to seperate the PTO shaft.

steve

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG
Problem is RC was on the ground and could not turn shaft to align splines. Hoping to get it onto skid with wheels soon, making it possible to move by hand.

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #5  
Your TC40's PTO shaft doesn't turn when the tractor is in neutral? My 790's does...

I tell ya...the frustration of hooking the cutter up is why I bought Pat's Easy Change system. It definitely saves time and cursing!

However, when I hook my cutter up, I use a combination of loosening the anti-sway turnbukles and loosening the adjustable link.
I back up and align the lower links as best I can, then hook the fixed link (the left one, on my 790), then the adjustable link. Again, the anti-sway turnbuckles are loose.
It's also handy to have a helper bar (5 foot length on 2x4). It also helps a lot if, when you park the cutter...leave it setting on a couple blocks of wood rather then directly on a floor or other surface.

I also plan my cutting so I go through this evolution as infrequently as possible.

The idea of adding caster wheels near the front is definitely the way to go.

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #6  
I'd also recommend setting the cutter on something just to keep it off the ground thus allowing some spin in the shaft. I set mine down on 2 old landscape timbers - one @ the front & one @ the rear. My cutter goes on & off easily using this method.

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #7  
I keep the cutter on a couple of cedar poles that are roughly 3 inches in diameter which keeps the MX6 off the ground. Once the tractor is back up, I use a 6 foot long metal pry bar to help connect the lower arms. I have a hydraulic top link which is easy to hook up. But before the toplink goes on I attach the PTO shaft. I hold the shaft clamped between my knees which frees up the hands to get the thing coupled to the tractor. Lots of grease or in my case Fluid Film helps slide the coupler and shaft togather. I can rotate the PTO shaft on the tractor to align the splines. The tractor is turned off doing all of this of course. :D

Its a PITA hooking this thing up. :mad: Without getting a concrete floor, quick hitch systems, or dolleys that work on gravel, I don't think I can connect any faster. Still lots of words are muttered...

Later,
Dan

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #8  
Hooking up my RC used to be a good 30 minute task. Now I can do it in about 4 minutes. Sometimes the PTO shaft gets a little dirty so I make sure it is cleaned off and well greased.

I keep my RC on top of some landscape timbers now, but have also tried old tires (with the rims). I do this so I can move the RC "this way" and "that way" if I need to line things up. Also, with the RC up off the ground, the blade has some clearance to move when hooking up the PTO shaft.

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #9  
Ummm
you're doing something wrong
Should take about 2 to 4 minutes
and extendable link arms make this a LOT easier

Hook up the lower arms first (and pull the pins so you can slide the arms out to the side and in if you don't have a captured pin setup)
first one side
then the other
then hook up the top link, just lengthen or shorten it til it fits with it on teh ground
then take the driveshaft and shuffle it around (or disconnect the PTO shaft, depends on your tractor) and get it to go on
THEN pull the collar back and slide it on.

It shouldn't take 30 minutes, should take at most 5.

/ HOOKING UP BUSHHOG #10  
I have an 8N so I don't have adjustable lower arms and all that good stuff.
What I do is park it so the RC faces slightly downhill.
Then back up just past where I need to be and drop the 3pt.
I can push the clutch pedal with my hand to let it roll forward as needed.
To move the RC side to side I use a 6ft T post. I hook the top link up last.
After I get it hooked up I start it up and raise the RC.
Then I can swing it side to side to get the stabilizer bars on it.
Takes me about 10 minutes to do all this. Get better everytime I do it.

Pooh Bear