Loader Hooks for Loader

/ Hooks for Loader #1  

funwithahoe

Gold Member
Anybody have any great hook solutions? Dealer forgot to weld them and although I have a welder my welds are about as pretty as an old mud fence. Also, I my bucket is not too heavy duty (B3200) so there may be a better solution than welding to the thinner steel.

Didn't realize how much I used them until I had to go about 2 weeks without them!!

/ Hooks for Loader #2  
Anybody have any great hook solutions? Dealer forgot to weld them and although I have a welder my welds are about as pretty as an old mud fence. Also, I my bucket is not too heavy duty (B3200) so there may be a better solution than welding to the thinner steel.

Didn't realize how much I used them until I had to go about 2 weeks without them!!

Get some of these (see link), weld them to a small steel plate, and then weld the plate to your bucket. The steel plate will add much strength and stability.

TrucknTow - Weld-On Grab Hooks (Pellican Hooks)

/ Hooks for Loader
Thanks! They look great and I never thought of welding them to a small steel plate but that would add a TON of strength and way lessen my chances of bending the bucket!

/ Hooks for Loader #4  
I did the same, bought two hooks from TrucknTow for my bucket. I also drilled two 3/4" holes in the plates. I not only welded along the edges of of the plates but I also plug welded using the two holes. It adds more weld bead and increases the strength.

I didn't have any Tempur sticks so I just pre-heated the cast steel hooks until "about right" to avoid heat cracking the hooks. They didn't crack so I must have done something right.:D

/ Hooks for Loader #5  
Thanks! They look great and I never thought of welding them to a small steel plate but that would add a TON of strength and way lessen my chances of bending the bucket!

Also, if your bucket is "rolled over" on top rather than a solid piece, a chunk of 1/2" black pipe can be welded in (under) the rolled area to keep it from collapsing under the chain.

Preheating the hook may be advisable but I've never done it and the hooks have been just fine. Never failed in some very heavy lifting conditions on four different tractors and a backhoe bucket.

/ Hooks for Loader
I did the same, bought two hooks from TrucknTow for my bucket. I also drilled two 3/4" holes in the plates. I not only welded along the edges of of the plates but I also plug welded using the two holes. It adds more weld bead and increases the strength.

I didn't have any Tempur sticks so I just pre-heated the cast steel hooks until "about right" to avoid heat cracking the hooks. They didn't crack so I must have done something right.:D

If you are "plug welding" a 3/4 inch hole you are a better welder than I am! (Maybe I could plug weld a couple of 1/8 inch holes).

I appreciate your thoughts!!!

/ Hooks for Loader
Also, if your bucket is "rolled over" on top rather than a solid piece, a chunk of 1/2" black pipe can be welded in (under) the rolled area to keep it from collapsing under the chain.

Preheating the hook may be advisable but I've never done it and the hooks have been just fine. Never failed in some very heavy lifting conditions on four different tractors and a backhoe bucket.

Goood idea - My last bucket was a solid piece and this one is rolled over - I see them collapse from chains all the time! - Good idea

/ Hooks for Loader #8  
If you are "plug welding" a 3/4 inch hole you are a better welder than I am! (Maybe I could plug weld a couple of 1/8 inch holes).

I appreciate your thoughts!!!

I think he means that he drilled (or cut with a torch) the 3/4" holes and then welded them to the bucket around the circumference of the hole as well as along the outside edge of the plate. You could fill the hole with weld metal (using 7018 or similar) but it would probably be overkill.

/ Hooks for Loader #10