hooks for my bucket

/ hooks for my bucket #11  
Bob_Skurka said:
What surprises me is how lightly built some of the buckets really are. Below are some photos of buckets that you might want to review, any of the rolled or folded lip buckets are inadequate (IMHO) if you want to add hooks.

Good side-by-side comparison photos, Bob. I, too, am surprised by
how wimpy some of the standard buckets are. At least the Kubota
and JD tractors offer upgrades to better buckets. I don't know if
all of them do, but the HD Kub and JD bkts are very nice. The Kioti
std bkts are very impressive, too, with doubled top lip and full
side reinforcement. I posted this photo of the CK20 bkt in another
recent bkt hook thread.

Attachments

• bkt_hook.JPG
    bkt_hook.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 289
   / hooks for my bucket #12  
dfkrug said:
Good side-by-side comparison photos, Bob. I, too, am surprised by
how wimpy some of the standard buckets are.
There are a couple very long threads about buckets and loaders. What surprises me about some of the buckets is how small so many of them are on some pretty big tractors. I'm sure if you put a low capacity (small volumn) bucket on a big tractor it will "feel" more powerful than the same size tractor that has a bucket that hold 35% to 50% more, but you actually do less work with those tractors. Personally I buy a tractor to reduce my work, simple things like bucket shape, construction and capacity can have a dramatic affect on the total time it takes to complete a task.

For example if 2 tractors, each 35hp have similar capacity loaders, but one has a bucket that is 35% smaller (less capacity) than the other, then the tractor with the larger bucket may get the job done roughly 1/3 faster than the other tractor.

Similarly if 2 tractors come without bucket hooks, and one has a heavily reinforced top lip and the other has a simple folded top lip and you want hooks, the process is easy on the reinforced bucket. But by the time you pay a welding shop ($65/hour) to reinforce the light duty bucket with angle iron, you probably are better off spending more money up front to get the heavier bucket in the first place!

For long term tractor owners, especially those who store their equipment outside, I typically recommend loaders with rigid pipe instead of hydraulic hose. Hose wears out (cracks, gets soft, snags on branches, decays from UV exposure, etc), pipe does not. Hose is cheaper, may never be an issue, but I'm willing to pay for pipe because it lasts for the life of the loader.

Deere offers some great bucket choices. They have light material buckets, heavy duty buckets, etc. Kubota offers less choices, but matches their buckets to their loaders. A lighter duty tractor will have a lighter duty bucket, a heavier duty tractor will have a heavier duty loader/bucket. New Holland seems to just build buckets like the army builds tanks. Even on the smallest TCs, the buckets are high capacity and reinforced (but typically NH is not a budget choice).

/ hooks for my bucket #13  
jmt1271 said:
aw direct has grade 40(?) weld on hooks with flat backs. would these be okay?
Thats where mine came from. Good quality products!

/ hooks for my bucket #14  
Bob_Skurka said:
AW Direct is the best source I know of for hooks. Do you want slip hooks or grab hooks or are you going to do a combination?

...The final photo is a Kubota B3030 bucket, this is a small & ultra-light 30hp tractor, suprisingly the bucket has a double fold along the top of the bucket and welded reinforcements on the lower corners. It does not have reinforced sides.

I know I was amazed at how "flexible" that top upper lip was on my own B3030. I clamped a 12 inch ( or 14"..??) Cresant wrench on it and could work it back and forth..and though..NOPE!! Aint welding hooks on this thing!! Took a piece of 2 x 3 angle..1/4" thick all the way across it and boxed that top lip in..and welded the hooks to the 1/4" angle instead.

I had a lug/bracket welded to the center..so I can attach anything using a pic. Clevis type slip hook...straight pin type clevis...etc

Attachments

• clevis.jpg
    clevis.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 275
   / hooks for my bucket #15  
Sully2 said:
I know I was amazed at how "flexible" that top upper lip was on my own B3030. I clamped a 12 inch ( or 14"..??) Cresant wrench on it and could work it back and forth..and though..NOPE!! Aint welding hooks on this thing!!
Yup, my B2910 bucket is very similar.

But remember, the B7800/B2910/B3030 is considered an ultra-light tractor series. These are the lightest and smallest 30hp machines on the market and some of the ~25hp tractors are significantly larger/heavier. The market niche for these light tractors is certainly for a different user than someone who wants or needs a heavy duty workhorse. On the other hand, a big heavy tractor will not fit where these smaller, lighter tractor will go.

There are no bucket hooks on the B2910 bucket, but there are hooks on my New Holland TC bucket.

/ hooks for my bucket #16  
Bob_Skurka said:
There are a couple very long threads about buckets and loaders. What surprises me about some of the buckets is how small so many of them are on some pretty big tractors....
Deere offers some great bucket choices. They have light material buckets, heavy duty buckets, etc.

It is all a tradeoff. I have a large volume materials bucket for my JD3720 that sticks way out beyond the width of the tractor and is very deep and tall. It is fairly light construction because it is large and you don't want to loose too much loader lift capacity to the weight of the bucket. On the other hand I did use it to dig a ditch in hard clay and it worked ok. It didn't bend anyway. Since then I got a small sized 61" heavy duty bucket with a tooth bar for digging, clearing and rock work. The small size focuses the weight and power of the tractor so it is more effective for digging.

I will be welding three hooks on this one. One at each attach point and one in the middle. My last backhoe had one in the middle and I found it really usefull, as long as the bucket is up to it. This JD HD bucket is definitely stout.

/ hooks for my bucket #17  
Bob_Skurka said:
Yup, my B2910 bucket is very similar.

But remember, the B7800/B2910/B3030 is considered an ultra-light tractor series. These are the lightest and smallest 30hp machines on the market and some of the ~25hp tractors are significantly larger/heavier. The market niche for these light tractors is certainly for a different user than someone who wants or needs a heavy duty workhorse. On the other hand, a big heavy tractor will not fit where these smaller, lighter tractor will go.

There are no bucket hooks on the B2910 bucket, but there are hooks on my New Holland TC bucket.

Oh without a doubt Bob. It was either machinery..or a heart attack from wheel barrowing material...:). I can move more fill dirt; topsoil or mulch in an afternoon with the FEL than I could in a week by hand.....but I do have to STOP once in a while to take a long drink out of my COLD water bottle.

I wont "Drink and Drive".....:)

/ hooks for my bucket #18  
Here's my setup. Used it this week to move and drag logs. The combination of slip and grab hooks works very well for many jobs.

Attachments

• Top Bucket.jpg
    Top Bucket.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 258
  • Full Bucket.jpg
    Full Bucket.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 237
  • BH hooks.jpg
    BH hooks.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 231