Horse fence question

/ Horse fence question #1  

Ktm rider

Tractor
Kubota MX5100
So , I’m building a fence for horses. Im getting the local sawmill to mill the boards for me. (Hemlock) My question is what should I treat the boards with? don’t want to use actual paint of course. I assume just a stain of some sort?

/ Horse fence question #2  
I would use a pre stain conditioner and stain all the boards prior to installation.
The pre stain conditioner is used only to prevent blotchy looking places on the wood.

I would call a local Sherwin Williams store and ask them for the best way to stain your Hemlock, if they the local store doesn't know the best way to get it done they will move it up the chain to get you an answer.
Sherwin Williams has always been a good resource for question like this.

/ Horse fence question #4  
I say this with -zero- knowledge of Hemlock, so perhaps it requires some treatment that I'm not familiar with.

Having said that... I have about 5,000 feet of horse fencing, and I didn't do anything to it. No paint, no stain. I find that if you do anything to it, then at some point you have to do it again. And I have no desire to restain/paint that much fence. Most people around here that have horse fencing don't do anything. Some buy that white vinyl fencing, but all the wood people just let it be.

I have 4x6 posts, with four 2x6 stringers, all pressure-treated pine.

Pic...

Attachments

• 20171124_173818.jpg
    20171124_173818.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 38
   / Horse fence question #5  
I wonder how long your wood fence will last in as much as horses love to chew on wood. We had draft horses for years and we used 4 strand high tensile wire with the top wire electrically charged.. Horses and wood don't get along too well as in they chew it.

/ Horse fence question #6  
I had a horse years ago that came really close to eating her stall down. They love that glue in plywood and OSB. I tried all sorts of mineral blocks and additives but she preferred wood.

/ Horse fence question #7  
Luckily, no gnawing at all in almost ten years. I did have one board kicked in half by a visiting horse, but other than that, no issues.

/ Horse fence question #8  
   / Horse fence question #9  
No more horses here. Horses are like boats. Boats are a hole in the water you pour money into. Same applies to horses. I'd rather have cattle or something you can eventually eat. I guess you can eat horses, I understand they do in Canada.

I used angle iron on the corners of the stalls, they cannot chew steel. They try though.

No cattle either now. I have all the pastures converted to hay production and I took all the fencing down and gave it away as well. Lots of 4x4 PT posts. The wire I cut in lengths and it went to the scrap yard, gave all the tube gates away too. I can make money on hay instead of loosing money on horses and the cattle was a PITA as well so now I just buy a side every year from the guy down the road and call it good. Comes processed, packaged and frozen for the deep freeze. Much easier, less hassle and cost wise, less in reality. My wife raised and bred Percheron draft horses. Was always a looser deal and the vet bills were astronomical. I like the 'gentle giants' but my wallet didn't.

/ Horse fence question #10  
So , I’m building a fence for horses. Im getting the local sawmill to mill the boards for me. (Hemlock) My question is what should I treat the boards with? don’t want to use actual paint of course. I assume just a stain of some sort?
I would use mineral oil or butcher block finish.
For me, I prefer hotcote. Had board fence and ended up replacing it all in ~10 years. Used marine grade posts and hotcote this time around. Like the overall appearance better Too.