Horse jumps out of gear

/ Horse jumps out of gear #11  
Another thought I just had is that I'm pretty sure that this is not the origional spring. The spring could very well end up being the problem. Should have my new parts by Friday. I picked up another belt today from NAPA. Took the Troy Built part number with me. This is definately not the same as the factory belt per NAPA, but they can order it. This belt will at least let me finish tilling the garden tonight so my wife will be happy and can plant.:thumbsup:

I'll keep everyone posted on how things go.

ssehon,
Any luck on yours?

/ Horse jumps out of gear #12  
My parts arrived today. I think I found why mine doesn't stay in gear.

Attachments

• Tiller_013.jpg
    Tiller_013.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 442
   / Horse jumps out of gear #13  
I've been wondering how you were coming along with this problem.

/ Horse jumps out of gear #14  
I've been wondering how you were coming along with this problem.

Finished plowing the garden with the wrong belt to keep the wife happy and been waiting on parts since last weekend. Got proper belt, adjustment tool, and proper spring. We'll see what those do. I can stretch the old spring by hand...no way with the new one. I still need to order a few parts, but they will have to wait a while.

I've been wondering how the OP has been comming on his. I hate the idea of hyjacking a thread. I hope some of what I've put here helps him out.

/ Horse jumps out of gear #15  
So did the spring fix it jumping out of gear?

/ Horse jumps out of gear #16  
So did the spring fix it jumping out of gear?

It's been too wet to even try using it. Our highs have been in the low to mid 40s all week and raining.:( Finally saw some sun today and temps got to the mid 50s. We should be in the low 60s this time of year. Can't wait for spring to finally get here. I don't care what the calander says, it's still winter. We were warmer in Jan & Feb than May has been so far.

/ Horse jumps out of gear #17  
I have also found on mine, after replacing the belts, if the belts are too tight, it will jump out of gear. The adjustment on these seems to be pretty sensitive. Too tight, jumps out of gear, too loose, slips...

/ Horse jumps out of gear #18  
I have also found on mine, after replacing the belts, if the belts are too tight, it will jump out of gear. The adjustment on these seems to be pretty sensitive. Too tight, jumps out of gear, too loose, slips...

I'll keep that in mind when I get to play with it again.

/ Horse jumps out of gear #19  
For jumping out of gear tighten the nut on the hi/low shifter. This is a self locking nut and needs adjusting once in a while. On the right hand side of the tiller, horse model.

/ Horse jumps out of gear #20  
Howdy folks!
Just wanted to say thank you in advance for all of the wonderful info.
My father in law (86 years old) just dropped off his Troy Bilt Horse with this exact problem.
I had no idea what to do and I thought, Tractorbynet.
I will let everyone knows how it goes.

Thanks,
Spiros