Horse riding arena

/ Horse riding arena #1  

MattM

Tractor
MF1533TLB and MF35
Looking to create a 60'x100' outdoor riding arena. The area is currently lawn grass and slopes about 3 feet from the NW corner to the SE corner. Rough plan to start is to strip all the sod/organic soil and pile it around the lower sides as a berm. Then re-level what's left, and then figure out how much base I'll need to build up before a sand top layer.
I know the consensus here is to rent a mini-ex, but I really want to try this with my MF1533 tractor with 1580 backhoe. I know its slower and less efficient for the task, but it is always here, and this will be one of those an hour here and there kind of projects.
Any tips to start on step 1? Start digging the grass up from the high side with the hoe? Windrow the pile downhill, then scoop with the loader and drive to the low side and dump? Maybe when the tires are on dirt the FEL will dig sod, but i just spin the tires on the grass.
I know its a small arena, but biggest area I've ever torn up in my yard. Thanks for any advice.

/ Horse riding arena #2  
Just break, disc, till, smooth, cover with sand. You seem to be thinking backhoe because you have a backhoe. I see no use for it. We dig septic tanks and graves for cows with ours.

/ Horse riding arena #3  
Just break, disc, till, smooth, cover with sand. You seem to be thinking backhoe because you have a backhoe. I see no use for it. We dig septic tanks and graves for cows with ours.
I killed the grass with chemicals...then raked it out. Then layered various sand and crusher mixes. All tractor FEL work.